Osaka for a week in April 2018, with kids

locidm

I will have a five year old and a one year one with me. Any recommendations on where to go? Will be staying in Osaka. Have seven full days.

Will be visiting the Kyoto train museum for sure. Perhaps half a day of Anpanman Museum in Kobe. Been reading a little about Arashiyama so that's a possibility.

Also need to think about what kind of rail pass to get. Kansai JR pass perhaps?

• Like 1

Arashiyama in my opinion is a must. Monkey park, romantic railway and boat rides the kids will love. The bridge, temple and bamboo grove for the adults. So something for all the family.

You can access Arashiyama using Hankyu Railway from Umeda in Osaka.

Thanks guys!

Arashiyama and the romantic train sounds like a winner. I need to look more into the aquarium. We have one nearby in Monterey California that's pretty good too.

Any rail pass that's recommended for the places I'll be hitting?

Unless you go out to Himeji, Kobe or Nara, then passes like the Kansai Thru Pass and JR Kansai Area Pass wont pay off.  These cost around 1700 per day for the cheaper versions.  And Osaka to Kyoto is around 400 yen for Keihan and Hankyu, and 600 yen for JR.  120 yen for a Osaka subway ride, and 160 yen per Kyoto bus and randen ride.  So you'll be lucky to hit the 1700 yen mark (or more) need to cover the actual cost of the passes.

A IC card like Icoca would probably be better as it look like you'll only spend around 1000 yen per day for travels in and around Kyoto and Osaka.

Edited by katoftw
10 hours ago, locidm said:

I will have a five year old and a one year one with me. Any recommendations on where to go? Will be staying in Osaka. Have seven full days.

Will be visiting the Kyoto train museum for sure. Perhaps half a day of Anpanman Museum in Kobe. Been reading a little about Arashiyama so that's a possibility.

Also need to think about what kind of rail pass to get. Kansai JR pass perhaps?

I'm assuming there will be another adult with you? :)  Oooh, how exciting. 

Thanks for the link to Hamadera Park. I've added it to list of possible places to go. :) good to know that we won't be needing a pass. :)

Yes it'll be my wife and I plus the two kids. Couldn't possibly manage a trip with the two kids myself! Lol.

I'll second the Aquarium suggestion.

This past trip (Dec 17)  I was in Taiwan a few days and the family went the aquarium while I was away.  They loved it.   We have been like 3  times since we started going to Japan.  It is a very nice aquarium.

Unless you go in an off time, I would avoid the Universal Studios theme park itself.  It always seems to be way over crowded with huge waits when we have gone there, and does not see that much different than the US ones.  There are some exclusives like Hello Kitty and Peanuts you won't see elsewhere, but unless you go in a way off time, you don't get on many rides it is so overcrowded (in our experience).

Few more questions for the traveling gurus here. :)

1. Any luggage transport service recommended over others? We may elect to send the luggage from airport directly to our hotel using such service.

2. Since we are going during cherry blossom hanami. Do you have any place you recommend to go to see the cherry blossom? Preferably not somewhere overly crowded since I’ve got two kids with me.

Thanks for the help!

bikkuri bahn

1. Any luggage transport service recommended over others? We may elect to send the luggage from airport directly to our hotel using such service.

Yamato.  But it will take a full working day for the luggage to be sent.  Unless it's to a different hotel than the one you are staying the day you arrive.

• Like 1
bikkuri bahn

2. Since we are going during cherry blossom hanami. Do you have any place you recommend to go to see the cherry blossom? 

Be aware that this year the cherry blossoms are blooming about a week earlier than usual.  So better go see them at the top of the month at the latest. As far as crowds, it will be crowded anywhere there is a sizeable number of trees.  And in Osaka/Kansai, expect to alot of Chinese(who tend to travel in large family groups) and Korean tourists to be in your company, as that region is especially popular with them.