Tachi-Ai

Claude_Dreyfus

Claude_Dreyfus

Something I have been getting increasingly interested in over the last couple of years is Sumo wrestling.

I will admit that my view of Sumo was pretty much how most people around the world view the sport...two fat blokes barging into one another. The truth is, of course, very different, with a high level of skill; combined with centuries of tradition.

Whilst like so many other sports, there have been controversies (most recently Yokozuna Harumafuji's much publicised 'retirement'), it is still clearly an obsession in Japan; with a huge following.

When I visited Japan back in 2014, Mrs Dreyfus and I attended the May Tournament at the Kokugikan. We spent the day there - arriving at 08:00 and staying until 18:00...10 hours of Sumo! Not that we're obsessed of course... The attached picture is from the May 2014 Basho. The wrestler in the black mawashi (Belt) is Harumafuji, not sure of his opponent; Yoshikaze is the wrestler in the right background, whilst on the left Satonofuji is ready for the bow-ceremony.

2018 has started well, with a shock winner for the January tournament being Georgian Tochinoshin. Added spice to what has been an exciting tournament.

Is anyone else on here a Sumo fan?

IMG_3755.JPG

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Sad to see that Yokozuna Kisenosato has had to retire. Injuries have dogged him over the last year or so. Sad also because he is quite young and was the first Japanese Yokozuna for nearly 20 years. Now we only have two Yokozuna left, including the virtually indestructible Hakuho...

https://www.google.co.uk/amp/s/www.bbc.com/news/amp/world-asia-46892222

• Like 1
Claude_Dreyfus

Well, the January tournament has completed, with the usual thrills and spills and another first-time winner in Tamawashi. Takakeisho, who won the November Basho, came second. Following the retirement of Kisenosato, the withdrawal of Yokosuna Kakuryu and the surprise withdrawal of Hakuho on day 12, the field was wide open; which made for an exciting  tournament.

Next tournament is the March Basho in Osaka.

Claude you've gotta put a spoiler alert on that :grin

I lost interest in the November tournament because of the situation with the yokozunas.   I don't follow them closely but it's always exciting when a maegashira gets a gold star win, obviously something that isn't possible if no yokozunas are participating.  Otherwise I support Abi, Tochinoshin, Yoshikaze.  I'm not sure how they turned out in this tournament (please don't tell me lol).  If my guys get a kachikoshi I'm pretty happy.

Claude_Dreyfus

Sorry!

I must admit, I too get a bit bored when the Yokozuna have a strangle hold on a tournament, but gold star wins are fun, especially when the cushions go flying!

I also like those three Rikishi (I promise I won't tell how they did!) along with Ikioi, Mitakeumi and Kotoshogiku. I am also impressed with Takakeisho.