Pamphlets, maps and other stuff.

marknewton

I was recently given an envelope containing a varied collection of paper artifacts from Japan. Apart from old maps, timetable and pamphlets there were a couple of things that I don't know what to call, or what purpose they're intended for.

They're laminated paper and plastic, slightly smaller than an A4 size sheet of paper, and feature front views of Japanese locos and trains.

large.IMG_0274.JPG.176fec8a120efe71e524c

large.IMG_0263.JPG.d566add527aa3ea33d414

large.IMG_0275.JPG.b0934b97e5199386f1f35

large.IMG_0277.JPG.66566432d58ee550d4dff

On the reverse side of some there are descriptions of the trains, on others there is just a blank ruled page:

large.IMG_0276.JPG.4db6b04c751776451fe95

large.IMG_0278.JPG.c9547ee817a85e25f44f1

Has anyone seen seen things like this before?

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
On 27/01/2018 at 7:25 PM, Suica said:

I'm prettt sure these are pencil boards

They're wonderful, Mark!

Thanks heaps for that link, that was a purpose that hadn't occurred to me.

Cheers,

Mark.

18 hours ago, cteno4 said:

Those are lovely mark!

jeff

That they are, Jeff. When I get a chance I'll post some photos of the lovely maps and pamphlets, too.

Cheers,

Mark.

10 hours ago, katoftw said:

Nice.  Were they a gift?

Yes, from an unexpected source. One of the members of my model railway club used to be part of a group that helped out on a huge private O gauge layout owned by a local businessman. After the man died his band of helpers were given the job of dismantling the layout and selling off the locos and stock, as the surviving family weren't interested in any of it. There was also a lot of books and memorabilia/railroadiana as well.

Apparently the man must have visited Japan at least once, because all this stuff came from his collection. My mate from the club gave it all to me knowing of my interest in Japanese railways, and also knowing I'd give it a good home. Which I intend to do. Some of the more attractive pieces I think I'll frame and hang in my modelling den. The rest are going into archival envelopes.

All the best,

Mark.

• Like 1
43 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

Sadly, this is the type of thing that is disappearing in our digital age.

Yes, I suppose even in Japan these things are probably becoming rare.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 1
On 1/27/2018 at 4:24 PM, marknewton said:

large.IMG_0277.JPG.66566432d58ee550d4dff

This map appears to be dated February 1982 ("(C)57.2"), the Eidan Hanzomon and Yurakucho lines and the Toei Shinjuku lines are still incomplete, and the Nanboku, Fukutoshin and and Oedo lines not yet extant.

JRM had a similar gift of Japanese rr magazines, maps, time tables, etc from a local gentleman that worked for the us Dept of transportation and had a huge archive/collection of transportation memorablia. He was a member of the Baltimore traction model club and donated the house and contents to them. They contacted us to donate a half dozen boxes of Japanese transit stuff. We have very nice multi decade sets of rr fan and modeling magazines from the 50-80s. They don’t get a great amount of use here and would be great to get them to a club in japan, but it would be a fortune to ship them over sadly. Many have great detailed plans of cars in them.

I need to go thru and photograph and scan some of the old time tables and tickets he had as well, some were quite old. Of course no market here, but I expect worth something on yahoo.jp for the densha otaku.

jeff