JNS Forum World Tour 2018 - Discussion

Pauljag900

Hello all,

My apologies for the delay. I was looking at the forum but not logging in to check messages.  😥

I broke a bone in my foot and the wife said it made me goofy from being cooped up in the house for 7 weeks.

I've sent my address over for shipping.

Brian

• Like 1

You must have read my mind buddy,I intended to message Kvp tomorrow to see if he still has it or has posted it on.

Thanks for the post mate,if no response I will message him tomorrow 👍👍😀

I'm so sorry everyone- last fall I took some photos but was in the middle of a complete switchover to Windows from Mac, and managed to lose a lot of photos I took last year- Thankfully have MOST from the trip to japan...

I was able to reach out to friends on IRC and they were at least able to dig up something.

Not the best, but at least It's something.

I've been a bit embarassed of the mishap and have been holding off on posting anything (until i found anything) 😧

On a related topic however, 1: what model container base was used? it doesnt look like anything from tomix/kato/hogarakadou that I can ID, but is clearly compatible with normal kokilarge.IMG_E1642s.jpg.a401ebe14a22440c4043287e129f4e16.jpglarge.IMG_1647s.jpg.5aa2bedbb462e029b6c85d30a385ebf7.jpg from them.

Also, how did you get the decals to stick to the unpainted plastic? I've been afraid to apply them given mishaps working on other unpainted models.

Thanks all!

Edited by defor
  • Like 4

defor,

the decals are plain old waterslide decals, like all those plastic models you made as a kid! You just soak them in water for a minute or so and the decal film will slide off the paper backing and you slide the wet decal onto the surface you want it to be on and smooth it out and just gently dap any excess water off with a kleneex and let it dry and it will suck down onto the surface. if its over bumpy surface you can use stuff like microsol to help partially dissolve the decal and let it form over the bumps cleanly.

here is a thread on some of the techniques.

cheers

jeff

25 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

here is a thread on some of the techniques.

Thanks- I'll take a look - perhaps clearcoating will help- I was working on some models of the "Snow Miku" Sapporo trams last summer, and even though I had hand painted the details of the model, I didn't want to paint the main surface because i needed to cover the entire thing with single large decals, but when applying them, they stuck until they tried, then they flaked right off... Didn't want a repeat with these, so I'll see what works I guess, maybe with some spare old military decals in different surfaces before I go...

Ugh, those trams are kind of the extreme in decal application! 

Going onto aomething flat is pretty easy with these.

look on YouTube for Microsol and microset. They help make your decals stick well and suck down to the surface well. Also usually best to clear coat after applying to protect as well as help hide the edges and get the whole surface to the same finish.

cheers

jeff

Hi gents,

can anyone throw any light on the whereabouts of the tour car please?

last known person to have it was ist on 26/1/2019.

A few of us are just wondering where it is.

thanks,

Paul

On 3/23/2019 at 11:13 AM, Pauljag900 said:

Hi gents,

can anyone throw any light on the whereabouts of the tour car please?

As far as I know Coromant posted the car to Suica on 22/01/2019 from Hungary. I hope it arrived...

• Thanks 1

How is the box doing on spare decals? Do we need to replenish the stock so folks can take one our for their own container?

lemme know and I can get some to one of the spots the car is at or will be at.

jeff

maihama eki
23 hours ago, cteno4 said:

How is the box doing on spare decals? Do we need to replenish the stock so folks can take one our for their own container?

lemme know and I can get some to one of the spots the car is at or will be at.

jeff

Has anyone used their decals yet?  I tried to use mine and they sadly disintegrated when they were dunked in water.  I experimented with a few different individual pieces with slightly more and less time in the water, but I always got that same result.  I may have gotten a bad sheet.

5 minutes ago, maihama eki said:

Has anyone used their decals yet?  I tried to use mine and they sadly disintegrated when they were dunked in water.  I experimented with a few different individual pieces with slightly more and less time in the water, but I always got that same result.  I may have gotten a bad sheet.

I used them too. I had pretty much the same result. I had to do multiple attempts before I got some that were (not perfect but,) keepers. I used microsol and microset, but it was so long ago I don't remember anything more specific.

Yikes, you mean the whole decal dissolved or just the ink. If it’s just the ink I may have forgotten to vanrish coat a sheet and then the inkjet would dissolve off the decal. Anyone who has had this issue yell and ill make some more and mail them to you. 

The inkjet printed sheets dont do quite as well on more textured surfaces for two reasons, first is the inkjet membrane is thicker on the inkjet vs silk screened decals (I guess to put up with printer or later abuse), the testers/micromark (they appear to use identical paper just packaged differently) is the thinnest I’ve found as most is made for craft stuff and very thick to go on mugs and stuff and be tough. Second is the varnish coat that you do to hold the inkjet ink on the membrane is a bit stiff and doesn’t let the membrane flow over surface details as well. The varnish also makes it harder for the microsol to really ack onnthe membrane as well to make everything conform to the surface details.

jeff

maihama eki
On 3/25/2019 at 3:19 PM, cteno4 said:

Yikes, you mean the whole decal dissolved or just the ink. If it’s just the ink I may have forgotten to vanrish coat a sheet and then the inkjet would dissolve off the decal. Anyone who has had this issue yell and ill make some more and mail them to you. 

I had a couple of pieces left, so I tried another one tonight.  I dunked it in water and then set it on a paper towel to wait for the decal film to release from the paper - as I usually do with water slide decals.  You can see the ink sort of start to distort and by the time the decal is ready to place, the ink is coming off the clear decal film completely.  I have never printed my own decals, but your description of the varnish coat missing sounds plausible.

Sorry, I didn't mean this to be critical.  I was just curious if others were having better results.

Damn, very sorry I bet I missed sealing a sheet of them! I was in a rush there when the right decal paper finally to here (that was a mess as they kept sending the wrong paper as two suppliers had put the wrong paper into the wrong containers). I printed on ehalf sheet and tried themmout to make the containers and then printed up two more half sheets for the box. Bet I forgot to seal them. I don’t think time is an issue on these, never heard that inkjet ones go bad quickly.

pm me your address, ill print up more AND SEAL THEM!

anybody else with problems lemme know and I’ll get you replacements.

jeff

15 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

anybody else with problems lemme know and I’ll get you replacements.

Since the world tour is not finished, is it an idea to mail some to the current (or next) location of the package? Who is next in line, anyway?

Sorry for the massive delay. The car arrived earlier than expected and I was / am pretty busy with job training so it took me a while to take care of it. 😞

Well, it is now ready to continue its journey.

• Like 2
On 4/13/2019 at 2:24 PM, ianlaw said:

Will the next stop be in the Netherlands?

Yes. I received the car yesterday, but unfortunately I won't have time to ship it to the next person before I go to Japan. Seems I might just take it with me for a mini-world tour?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1
25 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Yes. I received the car yesterday, but unfortunately I won't have time to ship it to the next person before I go to Japan. Seems I might just take it with me for a mini-world tour?

It doesn't/didn't happen without pics!

• Haha 1