Koya Station; The Station in an Apartment Building.

oh wow amazingly convenient! you could even catch the next train by leaving your house one minute earlier!!

Wonder about the noise though.... especially more so with the station right below and those living on 2nd floor or 3rd floor...  

Yeah they'd be noisey.  A train every 20 minutes each way, so a horn warning of train movement every 10 minutes.  Plus station announcements.

The bridge/viaduct you see in the background is Musashino Line, so even more trains doing past.

Edited by katoftw

That reminds me of an abandoned station I used to live near.  I lived in Himeji for 4 years in the early 2000s.  The city is most famous for its castle, but one of its oddest sites is the remnants of its old monorail which ran in the 60s and 70s.  The line had only three stations and the middle one, Diashogun station, was on the 4th floor of an apartment building just like that one.

Bits of the monorail still exist, including Diashogun station which is still used as an apartment building but has a bit of the monorail track still sticking out of it (some sections of the monorail tracks have been demolished but you can still see most of it). 

(Edited to note: Sadly on reading some related articles it seems they are planning to demolish the building housing Diashogun Station, not sure if they have already done so but this unique piece of Himeji railroad history is about to be....history)

Article in English here:

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20160804/p2a/00m/0na/004000c

I don't own this photo but it came from this Japanese blog here which has some other cool pics:

http://portal.nifty.com/kiji/110914147978_1.htm

http://portal.nifty.com/2011/09/15/a/img/pc/0915himeji005.jpg

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 2

I've checked Koya station and the Nagareyama line is a small single track commuter line with 2/3 car trains only and at most two moving trains on the whole line (6 stations, 5.7 km, 1 passing station). The noise pollution could be around the same as having a tram stop right in front of a house, which is pretty common around the world. Still, this find is pretty cool especially that this is a purpose built apartement complex and not a repurposed station building. (many european station buildings have flats for the staff upstairs and usually these are sold to private owners when the station is converted to unstaffed operation, with the waiting room and the signal equipment room kept by the railroad)

ps: The monorail through the building idea was once pretty popular, the Sydney system had most stops in buildings but afaik commercial ones.

Alas, the station is NOT as convenient as you think. The rail line at the ground floor doesn't travel far, unfortunately; it'll be just more convenient to walk about 100 meters to JR East Shim-Matsudo Station, where you can get onto a JR East Musashino Line train to get to the eastern or western suburbs of Tokyo or get onto a JR East Jōban Line local train, which often becomes the Tokyo Metro Chiyoda Line subway train that travels through central Tokyo.

I went for a ride on the Nagareyama Line last year and I can vouch for the fact that it would far from Japan's most convenient apartment building, especially if you commute into downtown Tokyo, if you want somewhere quiet and out of the way to live but still be close to Tokyo maybe.

Always take any proclamations made by “rocketnews” with a grain of salt.  More common is to have bus or metro maintenance facilities built underneath public housing (公営団地). Perhaps the most well known example in the Tokyo area is the yard built underneath the Nishidai Public Housing in Itabashi Ward at the end of the Toei Mita Line. You’ll see the arrangement starting at around 0:19 in this video:

• Like 5