HO hayabusa decoder configurations

Need for High Speed

Need for High Speed

I know theirs a few people here with decoders in their Kato HO Hayabusa. I was looking at a post made some years ago about installing DCC into the Hayabusa. But I would like to see some pictures of what it looks like when the conversion is complete  and a better direct explanation of how to do it.

Need for High Speed
On ‎2‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 7:06 AM, bnicolas1987 said:

Hi,

Did you search on the forum?

Here is it...

Cheers.

Nicolas

I know, I looked at that before, You sent me the exact same link before too.   I looked at the pictures (very helpful)  but I couldn't find an explanation, that's what I am asking for.   Also, does the HO Hayabusa really tilt on curves?

16 hours ago, Need for High Speed said:

I know, I looked at that before, You sent me the exact same link before too.   I looked at the pictures (very helpful)  but I couldn't find an explanation, that's what I am asking for.   Also, does the HO Hayabusa really tilt on curves?

Actually, that train looks like it could use the Kato drop in headlight decoders without any modifications. Imho, it would be better to just get those and use them. The linked pictures seem to show how to add wired decoders to the Kato DCC decoder connection points instead of just using the stock decoders.

On 05/02/2018 at 12:09 AM, Need for High Speed said:

I'm sorry, I didn't remember it was you who I sent the same post.

But I cannot give you a better answers, when the train is closed the DCC fitting is invisible.

One motor car with two motors needs one decoder and the two motors are connected in parallel to the motor output of the decoder.

for the front / tail light, a function decoder is well.

14 minutes ago, bnicolas1987 said:

One motor car with two motors needs one decoder and the two motors are connected in parallel to the motor output of the decoder.

Just one remark. This configuration either needs a decoder with no backemf control or one where this feature could be disabled. For load compensating decoders only one motor per output is usable. This means it's better to use 4 motor decoders for the 4 motor bogies, one per bogie. Both Digitrax and Digitrax made Kato ones could be used. For headlights, i would suggest the Kato decoders. Otherwise just connect the 3 decoder wires (blue, white, yellow) to the 4 contact points on the light board. (blue is power, white and yellow are head and tail active low grounds) The motor decoders need to wires to the two side pickup rails and two wires to the motors. Kato motor decoders have 4 connection pads, Digitrax wired decoders have 4 wires for the same purpose (and usually the 3 extra for the lights), which could be left unused for middle motor cars.

12 hours ago, bnicolas1987 said:

Yes it tilt a little on curves, but as my train is very far from my position I cannot make any pictures of this.

Does it? I've never noticed our E5 doing that. Have to take it for a run on Friday and check it out! :)

Cheers,

Mark.

Need for High Speed
On ‎2‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 10:37 AM, kvp said:

Just one remark. This configuration either needs a decoder with no backemf control or one where this feature could be disabled. For load compensating decoders only one motor per output is usable. This means it's better to use 4 motor decoders for the 4 motor bogies, one per bogie. Both Digitrax and Digitrax made Kato ones could be used. For headlights, i would suggest the Kato decoders. Otherwise just connect the 3 decoder wires (blue, white, yellow) to the 4 contact points on the light board. (blue is power, white and yellow are head and tail active low grounds) The motor decoders need to wires to the two side pickup rails and two wires to the motors. Kato motor decoders have 4 connection pads, Digitrax wired decoders have 4 wires for the same purpose (and usually the 3 extra for the lights), which could be left unused for middle motor cars.

Thank you so much for the information. 

It sounds like I just solder the decoder input wires to the big metal strips that run along the sides. Then get new wires to extend the stub wires in the motors and then cross solder the motor output wires from the decoder with the 4 wires from the motors then insulate all the connections with electrical tape and bind the other wires from the decoder and squeeze every thing together and but the car back together and done. unless I am missing something.

12 hours ago, Need for High Speed said:

It sounds like I just solder the decoder input wires to the big metal strips that run along the sides. Then get new wires to extend the stub wires in the motors and then cross solder the motor output wires from the decoder with the 4 wires from the motors then insulate all the connections with electrical tape and bind the other wires from the decoder and squeeze every thing together and but the car back together and done. unless I am missing something.

Essentially yes. Just make sure both motors turn in the same direction and the head/tail lights on the cab cars are also synchronized with the direction the motor cars are going.

Need for High Speed
On February 5, 2018 at 10:51 AM, kvp said:

Actually, that train looks like it could use the Kato drop in headlight decoders without any modifications. Imho, it would be better to just get those and use them. The linked pictures seem to show how to add wired decoders to the Kato DCC decoder connection points instead of just using the stock decoders.

Hmm. The Kato head light decoders are 30 dollars each. Are you sure they fit in the HO version of the Hayabusa? I am slightly skeptical of this claim. I don't own the train quite yet but if I do I am planning on using a 9 pin harness from Digitraxx in the motor car with a 9 pin TCS decoder and for the head lights I plan on getting 2 digitrax TL1 because they are dirt cheap.  But does the TCS T1 decoder fit into a 9 pin harness from digitrax? Or are they different sizes? I know it sounds weird but I happen to have a 9 pin harness lying around leftover from another project.