Snow falls on Tokyo, surrounding areas; flights disrupted

Had ca. 10cm here already, which is not a lot compared to some places, but massive recipe for chaos in Tokyo.

Pretty much all expresses are stopped, and reduced service on most lines, compounded by people heading home early.

Some pics from today.

From my apartment 13:51.

qTdX0h7.jpg

855LQKc.jpg

15:45 when I returned home.

njBSxWn.jpg

Setagaya Station.

sO4T4EO.jpg

1OAciF9.jpg

yb4fVDg.jpg

bzjtLbF.jpg

JR98fBI.jpg

I chased the 308 Gotokuji train to Kamimachi Station and waited for it. I met another rail fan who was there when 308 returned from Shimotakaido. He came back when it returned from Sangenjaya. I stayed there and took more pics.

2nQVkFK.jpg

This is from Shoinjinja Station.

2auhlXN.jpg

rk7aEqt.jpg

PCiYVO9.jpg

PHR5R2g.jpg

3wYxCVP.jpg

FhHUzyN.jpg

That's all for now.  

Grant

• Like 9
  • Thanks 2

"According to the agency, the Kanto region is expected to get 10 to 40 cm within the 24-hour period ending at 6 a.m. Tuesday, including 5 to 10 cm in Tokyo’s 23 wards. Elsewhere, about 20 to 50 cm is projected for the northern Kanto-Koshin region including Kofu in Yamanashi Prefecture, 30 to 50 for the Pacific coast of Tohoku, and 20 to 50 cm for areas between the Hakone area in Kanagawa Prefecture and Saitama’s Chichibu district.

The transport ministry even issued an “emergency” announcement Sunday urging people to refrain from leaving their homes unless necessary."

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2018/01/22/national/tokyo-braces-10-centimeters-snow/#.WmXYBKinHcc

Snow day!!!!

Heavy Snow in Nerima-ku, Tokyo. This video was taken on the platform of Shakujii-koen Station on Seibu Ikebukuro Line a little after 4 pm on January 22, 2018.

Video by AEONjr

What does the squidlette think of all this white stuff?

my comment around here when it comes is “stupid snow” grumble grumble...

cheers,

jeff

• Haha 1
5 hours ago, cteno4 said:

What does the squidlette think of all this white stuff?

my comment around here when it comes is “stupid snow” grumble grumble...

The Squidlet was reluctant to go out in it at first, but was much happier when he realised vehicle tracks looked like railway lines. I kid you not.

• Haha 3

Some pictures from the next day.

FhaB1tE.jpg

Next to Setagaya Station.

9TeqPnW.jpg

rMeeRL1.jpg

njRXhub.jpg

On the way to Yamashita Station.

HaboAXc.jpg

jSjnrwq.jpg

Gotokuji Station.

NjO09Ks.jpg

How do you channel water from leaks?

RrFhcFY.jpg

2rBFWef.jpg

Shinjuku Station.

F4xceY7.jpg

ewCDs7k.jpg

Returning from Sangenjaya Station.

hdnpdBR.jpg

Heading back to Setagaya Station.

gCo8RJh.jpg

YjMXK5f.jpg

wvZXAEn.jpg

That's all for now.

• Like 6
  • Haha 1

Am sitting here in Nagoya, we were expecting the snow to reach us today but its sunny and clear.  Which would be great except that I have a 3 year old who REALLY wanted snow today!  Maybe tonight.

• Like 1

I'm sure its a bummer if you have to work in it, but Tokyo really does look beautiful in the snow.  Thanks for the pictures gmat, I have a few of them saved in my PC backgrounds folder.  Hopefully I'll be able to visit in a year or two and see it for myself.

18 hours ago, gmat said:

RrFhcFY.jpg2rBFWef.jpg

In the maritime engineering industry we call these "Kingspoint gaskets".  Not very professional, but it usually lasts at least untill its becomes next watch's problem!  :grin

• Like 2
  • Haha 1
21 hours ago, Sean said:

Am sitting here in Nagoya, we were expecting the snow to reach us today but its sunny and clear.

In what kinds of train mania do you partake in Nagoya? :grin  I lived near Otobashi in 2004, seems like a lifetime ago.  I never really got into Meitetsu, I definitely regret that now.

• Like 1
17 hours ago, miyakoji said:

In what kinds of train mania do you partake in Nagoya? :grin  I lived near Otobashi in 2004, seems like a lifetime ago.  I never really got into Meitetsu, I definitely regret that now.

I'm a Meitetsu guy!  I live on the Meitetsu Seto line.  We actually got some snow last night, here is the Seto line train bound for Sakae Machi passing me by as I trudged home!

Meitetsu Seto Line.jpg

• Like 3

The scene outside my local station last night, after 4 days of freezing:

26043510068_45020edbae_z.jpg

bus-stop-ice by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Tokyo is just not equipped for dealing with snow which falls and stays, any snow which wasn't cleared away Monday night or early Tuesday morning by businesses or residents has been compressed into black ice and particularly where roads are in shadow is sticking around.

Some footage from Nakano station on Monday evening:

• Like 2