Train hits buffer in Sydney

Takahama Trainwatcher

Takahama Trainwatcher

There was a train accident this morning when a train approaching the terminus of the suburban branch to Richmond did not stop in time. It hit the buffer with enough force to injure 16 people.

The news links below describe what happened. The TV news included video of the actual impact (in the first link).

https://tenplay.com.au/news/national/2018/1/22/train-incident

http://www.abc.net.au/news/2018-01-22/sydney-train-crashes-at-richmond-station-injuring-passengers/9348398

https://www.dailytelegraph.com.au/newslocal/rouse-hill-times/injuries-people-trapped-after-reports-of-train-derailment-at-richmond-station/news-story/ad218fea29bf525a721fffbc1fe6612e

The meeting between government officials and the train drivers' union was suspended as the accident was checked; we are headed for a 24 hour train strike in a week.

Edited by Takahama Trainwatcher
  • Sad 1

G'day,

Yes, a number of emu suburban trains have hit this buffer stop over the years.

The sprung buffer stop protects the footpath and Market Street onto which the railway station fronts.

Trains must drop down a 1 in 70 grade just before arriving at the Richmond platform.

Originally, the railway line continued west climbing up to Kurrajong.

But, that section was closed before the end of the steam era.

8 car emu trains do not have much spare platform on which to stop.

The A set will most likely be scrapped due to the damage sustained, and probably utilized for spare parts.

Steve.

7 hours ago, stevej said:

Yes, a number of emu suburban trains have hit this buffer stop over the years.

Hopefully this incident will be the last. The signal that controls entry to platforms 1&2 at Richmond has been modified to provide speed checking. The train stop will remain up when the signal is showing a caution or caution turnout aspect. A train approaching the signal will be speed checked, and must be travelling at no more than 20kph to suppress the train stop.

Cheers,

Mark.

• Like 2

G'day,

The ATSB incident report is still in progress. I have now perused Safe Notice 2018 1011. Yes, the alterations to Richmond Down Home (RD5) should prevent any future buffer snot incidents. However, with signal RD5 being at the start of the falling 1 in 77 grade descending to the platform, I can see train speed increasing. Especially during wet weather and if the train is an 8 car Tangarbage. T sets have an aggressive wheel slide sensor, to prevent locked wheels and consequent skidding. Once that wheel slide sensor starts ticking, EP brakes are released. Worse still, Westinghouse air brake is also released. Train speed on approach to RD5 can be easily controlled to 20 kph on the level. But, should the wheel slide activate after passing RD5, then I could imagine train speed increasing inadvertently. It has been Tangarbages that have snotted the Richmond buffer stop previously. Prior to this alteration, the only speed board has been the 50 kph just east of East Richmond platform. It will be interesting to see if when winter wet weather occurs and if T sets run to Richmond, what occurs. I would imagine that should another buffer snot occur, then an intermediate train stop will be positioned between RD5 and the buffer stop. The simple solution, detrain at East Richmond and hoof the 800 metres.

Steve.

• Like 1

G'day Mark and Miyakoji,

The ATSB preliminary report has been published.

https://www.atsb.gov.au/publications/investigation_reports/2018/rair/ro-2018-004/

But, various details are still to be presented, including event recorder data.

I was based at Lithgow Maintenance Centre NSW for most of my footplate career.

I did have a go at various cityrail emu sets during 1993.

Plus, even though not qualified, I also drove interurbans on the Blue Mountains.

When ever travelling pas and riding up front, the Lithgow or Eveleigh blokes would hurl us into the seat to give them a spell.

My footplate career ended down in Tasmania in 2007.

After privatization in 2003, LMC got awkward and I was encouraged to transfer to Tassie in 2004.

Thankfully Tassie is today back under government control, infact the only government freight operation in Australia now days.

I am sorry for this tardy response.

I am not on the www frequently with sufficient time to peruse all of the forums that I am a member of.

Steve.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1