Tokyo Metro Cars Defaced With Graffiti

Das Steinkopf
1 minute ago, Rod.H said:

That looks like something a westerner would do, if any more turn up I suspect that there's a group of graffiti tourists in town.

That's what I was thinking when looking at the characters, as well as that graffers have been known to travel overseas and target places that are seen to be a challenge, I remember a while back a group of foreign graffers got caught breaking into a depot and vandalizing some trains in Singapore.

Graffiti tourism seems to be a bit of a trend, hope they get apprehended and get to know the Japanese justice system for a while. I do quite like living in a country where not every available surface is defaced by this rubbish...

• Like 3

Too bad I don't live in a country where graffiti is so rare that it is a news item. Here it's just assumed your train gets graffiti-ed when you leave it outside for too long.

• Like 1
4 hours ago, Rod.H said:

That looks like something a westerner would do, if any more turn up I suspect that there's a group of graffiti tourists in town.

Already found.

(Last lines of the article)

"Similar markings were found on a Chiyoda Line car at Yoyogi Uehara Station in Shibuya Ward on Saturday, the operator said."

https://www.tokyoreporter.com/2018/01/17/tokyo-metro-subway-car-found-tagged-with-graffiti-in-nakameguro/

3 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

That's what I was thinking when looking at the characters, as well as that graffers have been known to travel overseas and target places that are seen to be a challenge, I remember a while back a group of foreign graffers got caught breaking into a depot and vandalizing some trains in Singapore.

Theres also a similar incident in South Korea as well if I could recall, the graffers went back before the authorities discovered who did it. 

Actually there are a lot of local graffiti 'artists' here. They mostly deface buildings and road side barriers, etc. I have noticed their work on the side of tracks..I've also thought that  'justice' would be for their 'art' to be transferred to their rooms.

10 hours ago, railsquid said:

Graffiti tourism seems to be a bit of a trend, hope they get apprehended and get to know the Japanese justice system for a while. I do quite like living in a country where not every available surface is defaced by this rubbish...

My train was vandalised one day by graffiti tourists. Unfortunately for them, I had transit officers and police on board. They were arrested. While that was happening I returned the favour and graffitied their rental car. :thefinger:

Mark.

• Like 4
  • Haha 6
7 hours ago, gmat said:

Actually there are a lot of local graffiti 'artists' here. They mostly deface buildings and road side barriers, etc. I have noticed their work on the side of tracks..

Yup, it's not that it doesn't exist, but the scope is quite limited compared to other countries, and does tend to get cleaned up/painted over fairly quickly

I've also thought that  'justice' would be for their 'art' to be transferred to their rooms.

Quite. It would probably annoy their parents though.

3 hours ago, marknewton said:

My train was vandalised one day by graffiti tourists. Unfortunately for them, I had transit officers and police on board. They were arrested. While that was happening I returned the favour and graffitied their rental car. :thefinger:

Mark.

This makes me all warm and fuzzy inside.

• Haha 2
11 hours ago, gmat said:

These graffiti incidents seems to be happening only around terminus stations on the western side of Tokyo:

Gmap.gif

Yoyogi-Uehara on the Chiyoda Line (15/01), Naka-Meguro on the Hibiya Line (17/01) and now Nakano on the Tozai Line (19/01).

The next might be as well the Yurachuko/Fukutoshin Line at Wakoshi or a Maronouchi Line train at Ogikubo depot.