gavino200

People’s Republic of China N Scale trains

gavino200
8 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Minitown just announced they are doing a new production of their already incredible df11 model, this time with dcc!  It apparently should come out sometime this week.  And here I thought it would be a quiet few months because theres not much coming out of Japan...

https://mp.weixin.qq.com/s/c1DE454ln0zmsJretRGk7Q

Very nice. The detailing looks excellent. 

I need to decide on which train I'm going to buy. I'm leaning toward getting the same green train as you. I made a lot of "unplanned" purchases this month, so I'll probably sneak it in next month. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Kiha66
1 minute ago, gavino200 said:

Are there coaches to go with it?

Not from minitown at the moment, but the CMR YZ22 and Kunter 25 class coaches will go well with the model.  

• Like 1

gavino200

So they do. 

• Like 1

Kiha66

I really like the look of the bilevel cars, I hope they'll be available when I have the money to get more passenger stock. 

gavino200

I was thinking originally of buying those Kunter coaches with the red/white loco in this video. Your green train is tempting me to switch gears. But I think eventually I'll by both locos and both sets of coaches. 

I just LOVE the sound of Chinese. I really need to get back to it. Even this choppy automated Chinese sounds beautiful to me.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

gavino200
3 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I really like the look of the bilevel cars, I hope they'll be available when I have the money to get more passenger stock. 

Me too. I think there's going to be a LOT of Chinese trains on the market soon. It's an exciting time to get into the market as it's really starting to flourish. 

Here's another video. It has a few prototype pics at the beginning. It looks like they are mainly modeling the trains around Shenzhen/Guangdong. That makes sense as that's where these trains are produced. I'm hoping to see some Nanjing area trains soon, as that's likely where I'll visit first.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kiha66

Speaking with some modelers over facebook, I was directed to this taobao seller which sells decals for various items, including some HO sheets for chinese railways which include small enough logos to go on N scale trains!  They had a JGR 9600 steam loco which they had decaled for chinese state railways.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-9541312824.39.34875f5dedXdyK&id=570849790706

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.3-c.w4002-9541312824.36.34875f5dedXdyK&id=570850258378

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a230r.1.14.35.48e764a9VAFwjD&id=570182317229&ns=1&abbucket=20#detail

41572310_825315857818285_4996641948598009856_o.thumb.jpg.799bde6fc2812f8963495fd5460f42ba.jpg

Kiha66

Those of us interested should get together and do a bulk order sometime.

• Like 1

ben_issacs

G/day, Kiha66.

Is your Chinese loco builder's plate cast iron or aluminium?

If cast iron, a dinkum plate off a loco, if Aluminium, a replica.

Whatever, an interesting plate.

The Chinese characters read 'Datong Locomotive Works (or factory)'.

Unusual for builder's plates, no builder's number, only a year date.

Probably so us Outer Barbarians don't know how many locos were built!

Can't remember if these plates were handed, or whether they were the same on both sides.

The upper L.H. image, that looks like a steam loco, is of interest.

The loco smokebox front is  a stylised version of the character 'Ren', of 'Renmin' meaning 'people', and the rail cross section means 'railway', so this image means 'People's Railway' which was an early name for the system.

This design of plate follows closely that of those used on locos in the Soviet Union, and was probably adopted when China and Soviet Russia wee good friends.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

katoftw

How does pricing compare to say Kato and Tomix?

Kiha66

I'd say its arguably better.  The price itself tends to be slightly more but for the details I think its pretty fair.  The locomotives tend to be around $100 (USD) each while the coaches are around $20-30, and the freight cars around $15.  They are less robust as compared to kato or tomix, but more detailed.  For example the coaches have separate brake lines and roof vents, while the freight cars have brass ladders and grab irons, as well as separate brass brake systems all already installed.  The minitown locomotives come with an 8 pin DCC socket with space for a sound decoder and speaker built in, which is a definite plus.

chadbag

Cheaper than European models for sure.

• Haha 1