EF66 for freight

Did the EF66s that where for pulling blue trains like Fuji and Sakura services ever pull freight once those services were discontinued?  Even for just a certain period to time?

I already of the ED76 and EF81 from Kyushu lines.  And will like get an EF66 but not the coaches any time soon.  And guessing if the did get used for freight, then pulling koki 50000s makes sense?

Edited by katoftw
scotspensioner

According to Wikipedia,ef66-01 to ef66-39 were all transferred toJR Freight whilst ef66-40 upwards went to JR West.

You tube has filed of ef 66-27 working freights up till recently

I think very few of the original EF66-0 models are still in service. The newer-production EF66-100 models will be around for some time, given they are heavily used between Tokyo and Osaka freight services (and sometimes can be seen leading freight trains between Osaka and Shimonoseki).

Das Steinkopf

Apparently about 9 of the EF66-0 Series are still in service and I did see some of them active on the Tokaido Mainline when I was there last April, I was able to get a photo of EF66-27 sitting in the yard at Inazawa, having one pulling a rake of Koki 50000's is quite feasible as I did see a number of Koki 50000's in the yard at Shimonoseki which ties in nicely with your Kyushu theme.

37667677561_829efe7ced_z_d.jpg

• Like 2
On 1/6/2018 at 1:05 PM, Das Steinkopf said:

Apparently about 9 of the EF66-0 Series are still in service and I did see some of them active on the Tokaido Mainline when I was there last April, I was able to get a photo of EF66-27 sitting in the yard at Inazawa, having one pulling a rake of Koki 50000's is quite feasible as I did see a number of Koki 50000's in the yard at Shimonoseki which ties in nicely with your Kyushu theme.

Wish it was 9...AFAIK now down to only 2 left active: -27 & -30  :sad1:

Das Steinkopf
11 hours ago, yakumo381 said:

Wish it was 9...AFAIK now down to only 2 left active: -27 & -30  :sad1:

Well I suppose given their small numbers just like the EF200's and EF67's it was only time before their fate was finally sealed,,  I'm curious to see if there are any replacements in the pipeline as there are a number of other classes that are slowly being whittled away, once the EF65-2000's are gone I dare say that the gas axes attention will be turned on the EF64-1000's. Production of the EF210-100's ceased about 4 years ago and has now shifted to the EF210-300 with the last of those being delivered late last year, even then their numbers are quite small but I have read that they want them to be more versatile and not just be a banking engine like the EF67's were.

Edited by Das Steinkopf

Caught EF66-30 at Odasakae Station.

The platform station signs have been updated. probably in preparation for the Olympics. JN53, JN for the Nambu Line and 5X for the Nambu Branch Line. 

kNmlg6x.jpg

Shitte Station. JN 02 starting from Kawasaki Station. The main Nambu Line numbering starts from 01.

04zOXMn.jpg

Not all of the platform signs have been updated yet.

YHe4GM2.jpg

Updated platform pole station sign.

MD9GRoy.jpg

Noticed later that the platform station sign wasn't updated.

s85lO4H.jpg

Here's EFF66-30. Odasakae Station is a pretty good place to shoot.

CKGTi5q.jpg

q8Ls9l4.jpg

0BYwneo.jpg

L7R05Az.jpg

Also shot two of the EF66-100s.

IYkO3iI.jpg

This is the 14:48 short consist. Just flat cars, no hoppers or tank cars today.

DJmXmB4.jpg

ftbORAx.jpg

hS8oZR2.jpg

mm0jdvY.jpg

One good thing abut this station is that the crossing alarm will give you plenty of time to get ready. There is a chime that tells you that it will pass by your platform, too. 

That's all for now.

Grant

• Like 8

I rode the Nambu Line in an attempt to get to Kawaguchiko last Spetember.  Made the mistake of traveling at 8am.  Wowzers it is a busy line in peak.  Was staying on the Tamagawa Line and had to do a few transfer across to access the Chuo Line out to Takao.

Thanks for sharing pics of the EF66-0 type.  The Kato model fails to have the updated a/c unit above the cab that was added later in a EF66-0 life, but I'll the that prototypical correctness slide. haha

Das Steinkopf
7 hours ago, katoftw said:

I rode the Nambu Line in an attempt to get to Kawaguchiko last Spetember.  Made the mistake of traveling at 8am.  Wowzers it is a busy line in peak.  Was staying on the Tamagawa Line and had to do a few transfer across to access the Chuo Line out to Takao.

Thanks for sharing pics of the EF66-0 type.  The Kato model fails to have the updated a/c unit above the cab that was added later in a EF66-0 life, but I'll the that prototypical correctness slide. haha

Tomix did have an air conditioner available separately to fit to their EF66-0, it's no longer available from HS but hopefully they will reappear, you could also ask Nariichi if Tomix still has any in stock like I did for my PP-600 alternate numberplates for the Hoki 800's, he was able to get a set for me.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10071128

Das Steinkopf
11 hours ago, Sacto1985 said:

Wow, EF66 30 looks in pretty sad shape. 

You should travel down to Kyushu and see what some of the EF81's look like, it would make you cry.