Air compressors and very cold weather

cteno4

Well I may have really blown it! I used the air compressor on wed during the day at about 28F and it worked ok to do a short work session. But stupid me forgot to flip off the compressor power. I have gotten complacent with this compressor as it bleeds practically no air. Growing up my dad always has a large compressor that would bleed slowly and we always had to turn it off as mom hated hearing it go off In the middle of the night...

well earlier today i day I went into the shop and immediately smelled electronic burn... took a minute to realize it was the compressor. In the single digit F weather lately it must have shrunk a part enough to bleed and then try to start up but being so cold it probably was too tight and ceased... I’ll need to wait to Monday when it may get to the 40s to see if I burned out the motor...

damn cold weather, I’m a northern California boy, temperature should range from 40 to 80F!

lesson learned. At Least I moved all the Li ion batteries and glues inside before the cold hit.

jeff

• Sad 1

Good news everybody, the compressor still works! I put the heater in it for a while today while working in the shop and then fired it up and it worked! I guess the cold air just made the burned smell smell worse!

jeff

• Like 4