Kato Yamanote Line 205 and 231 Series sets?

Welshbloke

I'm planning to concentrate on the Yamanote-Sen for my suburban EMU fleet, so naturally I've been looking around to see what ran there. At the moment I have a ten car 103 Series (10-1189 and -1190) and the 10-890 four car E231 basic set is hopefully on the way. The latter will eventually gain 10-891 and -892 to form the full eleven car set.

I'm aware that the 205 Series and an earlier form of E231 with the six door SaHas ran on the line between these two types. I know Kato made both, but I don't know the item numbers. It looks as though there were two batches of the E231s and at least two 205s, one as train packs and the other as individual cars. Can anyone list the item numbers so I know what to look for?

Does anyone make the earlier stock used on the line? Kato did a 101 Series recently but I'm not sure they did a Yamanote version, they also made the old pre-war JNR 17m stock but in its rebuilt form. Wiki lists 63 and 72 Series units but I'm not sure who makes those.

10-514 is a Series 103 Low Cab Yamanote Line circa 1973 prototype issued 2006.

Series 205 Yamanote Line 10-251 and 10-252.  HS says it is terminated.  Also 10-331, a 7-car set and also terminated.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/search?typ1_c=104&cat=rail&state=&sold=0&sortid=0&searchkey=Yamanote&Make=Kato&spage=1&ItemSeries=Electric+Car

Edited by bill937ca

That sounds like an earlier version of my 103 Series (I have both high and low cab KuHas as I also bought the pack of two ATC-fitted ones). Thanks on the 205s, will keep my eyes open when I finish the E231.

Obviously need to buy the new E235 when those are released later this year, I suspect the E231 will be discontinued around the same time hence buying one now.

7 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Obviously need to buy the new E235 when those are released later this year, I suspect the E231 will be discontinued around the same time hence buying one now.

Yes the run of the mill version will be discontinued and replaced by a special commemorative version with a sky high price.  They did this with several years ago with Blue Trains, another train with very high visitor recognition value.

Edited by bill937ca

Looks as if Kato 10-578/9/60 were the E231 sets with the six door cars, long out of stock though. The prospect of a special commemorative model at a crazy price is also an incentive to get on with buying the add on packs, should be ordering 10-891 next weekend and 10-892 in February. Just waiting for a dispatch email for the basic set at the moment.

Can't find any mention of 63 Series from anyone, did wonder if there's some taboo around them. I know there was one fire on a set which caused dozens of deaths (caused by poor build quality leading to short circuits), and another one was let loose unmanned in a mysterious act of sabotage. Maybe a case of a train people would rather not remember?

I have a feeling Tomix did a 72 Series but can only find a Tomytec set of a four car Senseki line unit.

2 hours ago, Welshbloke said:

Can't find any mention of 63 Series from anyone, did wonder if there's some taboo around them. I know there was one fire on a set which caused dozens of deaths (caused by poor build quality leading to short circuits), and another one was let loose unmanned in a mysterious act of sabotage. Maybe a case of a train people would rather not remember?

Probably more a case of lack of demand for older stuff, coverage of pre-101 commuter units is generally patchy, and it doesn't help that there were substantial variations between units even of the same nominal class. I have a feeling Greenmax might have something.

I have a feeling Tomix did a 72 Series but can only find a Tomytec set of a four car Senseki line unit.

They did, in several variations; I have 92218 (Yokosuka colour) and 92067 (brown); the latter dates from the late 90s. They were also available as individually boxed models, I have a further 3 cars including 2935 (Moha 72-kei, brown).

The 2014 guide lists 92484 (Yokosuka colour, Gotemba line 4-car set) and 92448 (brown, Tsurumi line 3-car all-metal set).

Edited by railsquid

Greenmax definitely made kits for some of the 72 Series stock converted from 63s, couldn't find mention of original condition 63 Series though. I think at this rate I'll have the old Kato 17m stock passing for an early Yamanote Line set, might grab another dummy pair to bump it up to an eight car.

Does also explain why Kato produced the various single cars rebuilt from 72 Series stock but has never shown signs of using the chassis to release the original versions. My pair of KuMoYa 90s are probably as close as I'll get.

The Kato Yamanote E231-500 sets with the 6-door Sahas were 10-578 (4 car) and 10-580 (3 car) with the middle 10-579 ( 4 car) not containing these Sahas. They ran an additional 10-577 (2 car) set which contained the replacement 4 door versions for those wanting to update their models. This is the version I have of the E231 and I missed the boat on the 2 car set to have the option of modernizing it.

They're being quite cunning with the current packs in that respect. 10-890 is the KuHas, a MoHa and a SaHa. 10-891 brings another SaHa and three MoHas (giving you two pairs), 10-892 is a third SaHa and a MoHa pair.

10-890 and -891 are on their way, unfortunately -890 is coming via EMS so I'll probably get hit for VAT and Parcelforce's exorbitant handling charge, but it's still cheaper than UK prices.

Found another one. 10-156 is a six car Yamanote 205 Series formed with a pair of KuHas and two pairs of MoHas. Can't find any mention of an add on pack to bring it to a prototypical length though.

I also now have a lone SaHa 204 on the way after seeing it on Amazon for £12. This is the six door type from their release of individual 205 Series cars, item number 4467-1.

Kato has a "wrapped" version of the E231-500 Yamanote line that depicts the "Sumikko Gurashi" wrapped Yamanote that ran, if I understand things correctly, from about Feb 2017 to Sept 2017 in real life.   It is an 11 car set.  10-1399 .   I got it from Amazon after seeing it in several stores in December/after New Years while we were there.  Ended up being cheaper, including delivery to the US, from amazon.co.jp than Yodobashi and Joshin after tax free and tourist 5% Visa discounts.  (Amazon will take the tax off as well when sending outside Japan).   I picked it up for my daughter as she is Sumikko Gurashi crazy, and I want her to feel like taking part in our railroading hobby (not just me and the boy).   Luckily she has a birthday later this month.  Perfect excuse.

If you are doing the Yamanote line, this is an interesting addition.

• Like 2