quilt batting scnery

Here is an interesting texturing technique for foam scenery. instead of trying to carve and finish all your foam hills just roughly carve it to shape then glue down a layer of quilting batting onto the foam. this can give you a more even drape of the hill over the foam and great surface texture which is hard to get with foam. then paint and while paint is drying add dry foams and such to detail out. nice, going to have to experiment with this one.

cheers

jeff

• Like 2

Hey that's really good. Could be an idea to rebuild my temporary cardboard hills since the plain green paint below the iceland moss forest really starts to annoy me...

Yeah get some 1/2” foam and hack up the rough hills and the batten them. Simple but nice results and lightweight. Looks like better texture than foam or plaster or even plaster cloth with little work. Of course you can carve fantastic foam or plaster if you want, but it takes a lot of time! Even then carved foam needs a few thick coats of paint or that foam shell gel to smooth it out.

i want to try this out on the new JRM layout scenery pieces.

cheers

jeff