JR East 189 series sets

Philphil

Question for you guys, I'm looking at some JR East 189 series sets, and I was just wondering what the correct paint scheme for the remaining sets would be. Since their website says there are 24 cars left in service (or at least on the roster), I also have to assume there are four 6-car sets left?

There are four 6 car sets belonging to two depots left.

Nagano vehicle center:

Set N102 Asama colour

Toyoda vehicle center:

Set M50 Azusa colour
Set M51 JNR colour

Set M52 Upgrade Azusa colour 

All of them are used for special seasonal services. 

Set N102 is well known to be used on the Moonlight Shinshu. If this set isn't availalbe it's usually substituted by set M51.

Sets M50, M51 and M52 have all be seen in use on Holiday Rapid Fujisan.

Edited by Suica
2 hours ago, Suica said:

Set M50 Azusa colour

Sets M50, M51 and M52 have all be seen in use on Holiday Rapid Fujisan.

Frequently used as Kawaguchi Go too ~ Tomix has the M50 set that is HG, factory installed TN couplers with exchangeable headmarks - Holiday Rapid Fujisan and Kawaguchi Go ~

20171214_164749.jpg

• Like 4
42 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Frequently used as Kawaguchi Go too ~ Tomix has the M50 set that is HG, factory installed TN couplers with exchangeable headmarks - Holiday Rapid Fujisan and Kawaguchi Go ~

Actually, all of the mentioned sets are HG with the Nagano based set coming out in February.

Thank you guys for all the information! 

It's too bad all of those Tomix sets are sold out, and terribly expensive...

Did Kato ever make a 189 in the 'Upgrade Azusa' paint? I thought I'd seen one before, but I might just be thinking of a different Tomix set.

32 minutes ago, Philphil said:

Did Kato ever make a 189 in the 'Upgrade Azusa' paint? I thought I'd seen one before, but I might just be thinking of a different Tomix set.

Nope.

But MicroAce made one. It's the original 9 car set M8 which was around in the late 80s and early 90s.

They're not too rare, so you should find them used every now and then. I got my Upgrade Azusa for a good price from Mandarake.

1 hour ago, Philphil said:

Thank you guys for all the information! 

It's too bad all of those Tomix sets are sold out, and terribly expensive...

Tomix made a Upgrade Asuza set M52 before:  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10312022

Kato did a Upgrade Azusa before, but that's a 183 series, not a 189...  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10025685

• Like 2
10 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Kato did a Upgrade Azusa before, but that's a 183 series, not a 189...  http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10025685

I didn't know that Kato one. It's however, like the MicroAce model one of the M sets.

Also, the difference between 183 and 189 series is absolutely minor.

189 series is equipped for operation with EF63 over the Usui pass, 183 series isn't.

• Like 1