Catenary failure shuts down Keihin-Tohoku line et al for 6 hours

railsquid

As much as i could understand the overhead wire shorted out to the earthed catenary console due to wire movement and that tripped the safety. This cuts power to every line on the affected substation. I couldn't find the cause of the problem though.

This happened back in August (5th?) Of 2015, during the Yokohama fireworks festival.  I remember it was my one night off, and I had taken the train from yokohama to tokyo earlier that day.  Tokyo station was like a mad house, nobody knew what was going on, and all trains south were, canceled.  I ended up having to take the last shinkansen to shin Yokohama, and walk back to the port sometime around midnight.  At least I got a chance to take the shinkansen, but I hope JR is better at communicating to the stranded travelers this time.

That one in 2015 was a structure issue where the counter cable concrete block pulled out of the ground making the overhead wire loose. 

The above article is no indication of what went wrong other than a short circuit, which can be cause by many issues.

According to the news it was a maintenance mistake on an airgapped section, some part wasn't attached correctly and it allowed the two sections to touch, causing a short.

There was another issue on that line with an airgapped section a while back where a train stopped where it shouldn't have.