My South Hokkaido Railway/Esashi line modules

EH500 (12)

In this thread I would like to document the progress on my module layout.

After being bit by the japanese n-gauge bug I first started to collect some random locomotives but zeroed in on the Aomori/Seikan Tunnel/Goryokaku theme quite quickly,

My initial plan was to build a shortend 1:1 copy of the Higahsi-Aomori freight yard, a simplyfied version of Goryokaku freight yard and a fully automated staging yard below the Aomori side filling a 4x4 meter room. But due to work and other stuff this never went beyond the planing stage for roughly 1 1/2 years. 

Layout.thumb.jpg.4ed2bf1125630ede87ae97f03816bbe4.jpg

With the current wave of releases of trains for the south Hokkaido region I decided to build something smaller to run my trains on. So I looked at the Tsugaru and Esashi line and picked the later.

For my project I decided on the area around Kattoshi cape.

https://www.google.de/maps/@41.7475888,140.5995832,2767m/data=!3m1!1e3

Here I have marked the 6 areas I picked as reference for my modules. Of course I will not be able to recreate them 1:1 and I will have to shorten some parts and omit stuff here and there but I hope the end result will be a decent representation of the landmarks of this region. Every module will be 60x60cm.

Here I have marked the location of the modules.

5.thumb.jpg.dedd4979cc0fd24a417113ee54c3ed94.jpg

The first two modules.

Interesting points here are the bridge, the buildings and the typical japanese concrete walls to support slopes.

1.thumb.jpg.88a94ddda04c8dccd4d66bc14ac134f4.jpg

Modules 3 and 4 will mainly consist of a woodland area. 

3.thumb.jpg.2ab639c862cf93d9a4bef76c1c1b0fe8.jpg2.thumb.jpg.c285cd7e018b8547b9a13551db9973c5.jpg

On the last two modules I hope to create a scene like in the video below, although Iam not sure if 120cm will be long enough for that.

4.thumb.jpg.339733c53fd2f3b02f2738c4ecc79621.jpg

Edited by EH500
  • Like 6

Not really impressing yet but getting the proportions of the hills and the road leading through them to look like the real thing took quite a few evenings.

Iam currently finishing the work on the right hill. I hope to get the base work done before the end of the year.

20171211_214833.jpg

Edited by EH500
  • Like 8

Okay I'm following this!

A couple of questions:

1. On Module 3 - how about moving it over a little bit to include the lighthouse (葛登支岬灯台)? I don't think I've seen those modelled very often at all, and could add an extra bit of interest to the module?

2. On 5+6 - why did you opt for the location of 6 there? Why not the area right adjacent to 5, with the marina and the inner breakwater?

I'm taking the same sort of location-specific approach with my planned JNR Aizu Line, so I'm very keen on following your project's progress! Loving the look of the module so far!

6 hours ago, Pashina12 said:

1. On Module 3 - how about moving it over a little bit to include the lighthouse (葛登支岬灯台)? I don't think I've seen those modelled very often at all, and could add an extra bit of interest to the module?

2. On 5+6 - why did you opt for the location of 6 there? Why not the area right adjacent to 5, with the marina and the inner breakwater?

1. I actually thought about this. The problem is Iam not really skilled when it comes to scratch building. I will look into this when I have finished 1 and 2.

2. At the end of 6 there is a tunnel leading to Moheji Station which I think should be a nice end to the module. But as I already said, Iam not sure if I have to add another module to this area. But I will think about that when I get to that part.

• Like 1
2 hours ago, EH500 said:

1. I actually thought about this. The problem is Iam not really skilled when it comes to scratch building. I will look into this when I have finished 1 and 2.

2. At the end of 6 there is a tunnel leading to Moheji Station which I think should be a nice end to the module. But as I already said, Iam not sure if I have to add another module to this area. But I will think about that when I get to that part.

1. The lighthouse ... it looks like a fairly simple structure, yet quite pretty - and it'd look great. The thing with scratchbuilding... if you can read a ruler, and you can cut and glue plastic, you can scratchbuild. The only way to learn it is to do it... and judging from how your models look so far, you'll do really well when you get to your first scratch project. The hardest part is IMO gonna be finding/working out the dimensions of the structure - building it will be easy enough. :)

2. Ah, got it. Yeah, a tunnel would be a good way to end the module (I've got it in mind for a few, myself).

That leads me to another question - how are you planning to connect the modules up?

7 minutes ago, Pashina12 said:

That leads me to another question - how are you planning to connect the modules up?

The base of the modules is a wood board, 16mm high, into which I have drilled two holes and put two metal bolts in the second board.

Oh, sorry - I meant scenery-wise. Is say 2 going to join directly to 3, or will you have (a) module(s) between them to transition the scenery and add running distance?

On 12.12.2017 at 9:55 AM, Pashina12 said:

Oh, sorry - I meant scenery-wise. Is say 2 going to join directly to 3, or will you have (a) module(s) between them to transition the scenery and add running distance?

Yes I will have them join directly. 

I actually finished the hills now. Next will be building the two houses and the bridge.

After that filling some holes in the foundation and start creating the surface with plaster.

I finaly found some motivation and time again to continue this project.

20180311_191752.thumb.jpg.d28884ca2318a3c47ca274f8197614d5.jpg20180311_191804.thumb.jpg.83caa2eacc4463c60a1932e8016adccf.jpg

I have finished the foundation for the road, tracks and bridge. 

I also started covering the hill in plaster.

This excellent tutorial on youtube gave me a lot of inspiration:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vxhZ7uE7glY

Edited by EH500
  • Like 7

I was wondering what was happening with this project.  I searched it a day or two ago due to seeing South Hokkaido Kiha 40s restocked at one of the suppliers and it reminded me of the project.

Made some progress today too.

Used Sculptamold for the first time, works really good. Can be easily applied with your fingers and dries quite fast when applied in thin layers.

20180312_201803.thumb.jpg.f1030a3bbede0c73f96216b4eaae7021.jpg

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

Had to remove some Sculptamold as I applied to much of it and would not dry.

Replaced it with more styrofoam and reapplied a layer of Sculptamold.

5.thumb.jpg.b63b51f106bce13a1e0e014dbd0d6810.jpg

3.thumb.jpg.5b485b4fa167b9529c1a5a8f77ee25a8.jpg

I also started covering the edges with white glue to strengthen them and prevent pieces breaking of.

4.thumb.jpg.0fd189d67c215f7189b74bef4e785692.jpg

Another thing I had to fix was the road which was not wide enough.

Added some more styrofoam on one side and added some more Sculptamold on the other side.

1.thumb.jpg.098e75c00107dfdaeecc784bd30fd938.jpg

Thats how it looks now.

2.thumb.jpg.d1cfb160c133258e01c413de16241ca7.jpg

• Like 6

Great idea of using white glue to harden foam and sculptimold where it can get dinged! Gunna have to file that one away! Thanks

Jeff

• Like 1

The bridge is done. Also adjusted the foundation to the form of the bridge (not on the picture)

photo_2018-03-29_20-58-40.thumb.jpg.63266c1569e3484f465af6c65aed0ec3.jpg

The road is also taking shape but the method I used really needs more practice.

photo_2018-03-29_20-58-41.thumb.jpg.5c054cc76d83a477ff586d7bf2d00aeb.jpg

Edited by EH500 (8)
  • Like 4

That looks really nice!  What paints did you use on the bridge?  The weathering really makes the rivet detail stand out.

6 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

That looks really nice!  What paints did you use on the bridge?  The weathering really makes the rivet detail stand out.

I used Tamiya grey primer, flat black, hull red, flat red, flat white, panel line black and ultra matt varnish from AK Interactive.

1.) basecoat with tamiya grey primer

2.) flat black

3.) hull red

4-???-6.) several shades of hull red with added flat red and flat white. Should have gone a bit further here to get a more shaded result.

7.) two gloss coats

8.) applied Tamiya panel line black 

9.) created the streaks by simply swiping up and down with a Q-tip (the pointy hard ones from Tamiya)

10.) a few earth colour pigments to the lower part of the bridge to create a hue of dirt

11.) two coats of ultra matt varnish

• Thanks 1

Thanks for the list, I'll have to pick up a few more bottle of paint it seems.  Do you use a spray booth while painting?