End of the EF66 0 series?

yakumo381

Picture "over the fence" of the remaining condemned EF66-0 waiting for the gas axe at Suita Depot.

During my recent trip, I only saw EF66-27 in use with it being photographed by trainspotters at every appearance.

From the recent March "diamond" revision of allocations, just EF66-27 and -30 now appear as allocated for use but EF66-30 went down to Hiroshima earlier this year and has not yet reappeared, as far as I know, from the plant there so may either be being serviced or refurbished for further use or has been already axed.

66.PNG

• Sad 1
On 2/11/2018 at 11:22 AM, yakumo381 said:

EF66-30 has now been transferred south, presumably to Hiroshima Plant for dismantling. Just leaves EF66-27 in service AFAIK....

I was a bit too quick to write off EF66-30 as it is now back at Suita ready for further use, presumably having had repairs and/or servicing at Hiroshima Plant:

• Like 4
  • Haha 1
Das Steinkopf
3 hours ago, yakumo381 said:

I was a bit too quick to write off EF66-30 as it is now back at Suita ready for further use, presumably having had repairs and/or servicing at Hiroshima Plant:

I have seen quite a number of photos of it in action of late on the Japanese Freight Lovers group on Facebook, it looks like EF66-30 and EF66-27 have still got a bit of life left in them, once it gets to a point that repairs become uneconomical then it will be a different matter.

6 hours ago, yakumo381 said:

Good to see this loco is still in action!

I hope the last two EF66s are kept in service a few more years.

Cutting of DD51-853, DD51-1805 and EF64-1016 is underway at Aichi Depot at Inazawa. DD51-1805 was the last of its type to be built....

• Sad 1
Das Steinkopf

RIP DD51-853, luckily I got to see her in the flesh last year before she got hit with the gas axe, I was also wondering when they would start scrapping the EF64-1000's as there was a number of them lined up as if they were waiting to meet their fate.

Here she is in more happier times.

37409499660_477cf95242_z_d.jpg

• Like 2
3 hours ago, Das Steinkopf said:

I was also wondering when they would start scrapping the EF64-1000's as there was a number of them lined up as if they were waiting to meet their fate.

EF64 1023 being towed after a general inspection at Omiya Plant.  Video by train fan 2002.