End of the EF66 0 series?

yakumo381

From my last Japan trip, as far as I am aware there were just 6 remaining EF66 0 series still in use by JRF although of these I saw 3 were resident in the "out of use" lines at Suita depot which also housed 4 of the remaining 9 EF200 also as "out of use".

From reading a blog I follow by an enthusiast who lives by Suita depot, it seems that EF66-21, -26 and -33 are now moved into the scrapping area at Suita, as of yesterday, in preparation for imminent demolition.

This just leaves EF66-27, -30 and -36 extant although EF66-36, which moved recently down to the JRF plant in Hiroshima, may be also down to soon suffer the same fate as it is residing in the equivalent line there.

Unless anyone knows of any other EF66 0 series (outside of those in museums / preservation) then it appears that the end of a classic JNR express loco class is nigh....

• Sad 3

I have only had the pleasure the see one of these in action towing a container train at Yamashina station at night, but boy am I glad I did.

Given that the original EF66-0's were built a long, long time ago, small wonder why they're being retired for scrapping. However, the EF66-100's will be around for some time to come (and are common sights between Tokyo and Osaka).

66-30 sighted at the Tsurumi yard next to Shin-Kawasaki Station just a few minutes ago. Probably arrived early this morning. Parked in the East sidings so will be heading South towards Yokohama later, probably tonight.

Will post a pic when I get home tonight.

Grant

• Like 2

The 14:40 short hopper and tank car consist from the Tsurumaki Yard was the 66-30. Just shot it at the Nikaryo #2 crossing on the Shitte bypass line.

There was another younger guy there.

Grant

Edited by gmat
  • Like 1

Some recent 66-0 pics. Before today, this was apparently the last one I shot. Oi-Chuo bridge, Tokyo Freight Terminal/Oi(Shinkansen) Rail Yard. July 2, 2017. 

sLMV9PX.jpg

Taken at the west fence, Shin Tsurumi Locomotive Depot this morning, 11, Dec. 2017.

oe4QzoB.jpg

Taken at 

NdmVS2E.jpg

dkoUWXg.jpg

aq9NAVg.jpg

e2hrmvU.jpg

Crossing name sign, JRE style.

Nikaryou Crossing. Smaller kanji says Shitte Bypass line.

Wcai8xv.jpg

Nikaryou with hiragana okurigana .

DE3dhPG.jpg

Nikaryou Crossing.

LNBb3Qk.jpg

This way goes toward Shin-Kawasaki Station.

Aw41MUI.jpg

This way goes toward Shitte Station.

NixxmNn.jpg

Grant

• Like 11

Sad to hear they are getting scraped.

I went to Suita earlier this year hoping to see an EF66 0 series in action but only saw a 100 series.

I saw those two EF66s though.

For me the EF66 always is the most "japanese" design.

DSCF3525.JPG

• Like 4
2 hours ago, EH500 said:

For me the EF66 always is the most "japanese" design.

I agree. I think that these, along with the 0 series Shinkansens, are as symbolic of later Showa JNR, as the TGV-PSE is to the SNCF, or the E03/103 is to the DB, or the BOAC Speedbird and the blue Pan Am globe is to air travel. Icons of a period.

On 12/11/2017 at 7:35 AM, gmat said:

Some recent 66-0 pics. Before today, this was apparently the last one I shot. Oi-Chuo bridge, Tokyo Freight Terminal/Oi(Shinkansen) Rail Yard. July 2, 2017.

Great pics, Grant.

EF66-36 is this week in the process of being scrapped at the Hiroshima plant along with EF67-104.

Surprised they took EF66-36 all the way from Suita to Hiroshima to do this given Suita has its own dismantling area.

This leaves EF66-27 and -30 in use and -21, -26 and -33 waiting their end at Suita.

1 hour ago, stevenh said:

Just for fun... here's a shot of two I took in Suita many moons ago. Sometime early January 2008.

Awesome picture!  Do you have the full size image?  I'd love to use it as a desktop background.

At Suita Depot, EF66-30 has lost its depot tags and is red flagged so probably now out of use pending the end of the JRF financial year diamond revision to loco allocations (....and start of the scrapping season.) That just leaves EF66-27 out and about as the last active member of its class.

Same goes for EF200-2,  -4, -6, -7, and -10 so again a much depleted class with only EF200-17, -18, -19 and -20 remaining active for now.

I'll be passing through Suita at the end of my Japan trip in March so will be able to check on their final fate.

• Sad 2
Das Steinkopf

Out of curiosity what has become of EF200-5, I have searched everywhere to find any information on her withdrawal and  couldn't find a thing, I saw photos of her in service in late 2016 but couldn't find anything else.

2 hours ago, yakumo381 said:

Just leaves EF66-27 in service AFAIK....

Imho this is the point where the last loco should be passed off to a rail park with rail access, with all the spares that could be gathered from the previously cut up ones. (Why now? Because there is no transfer cost as the loco could go there on its own.)

1 hour ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Out of curiosity what has become of EF200-5, I have searched everywhere to find any information on her withdrawal and  couldn't find a thing, I saw photos of her in service in late 2016 but couldn't find anything else.

EF200-5 went "out of use" at the end of 2016 and was sitting at Suita Depot for some time after but, as I didn't see it there during my last visit in October,  it may have been already scrapped. I'll look for it next month when I'm in Suita for a couple of days.

Apparently EF200-2 has recently been given a Suita depot tag after one month of "out of use" so may be making a come back...