Jump to content
gavino200

Gavino200's Layout phase II - Modeling

Recommended Posts

gavino200

I've been searching for examples of layouts with multi-level city modeling. There are very few. Most create the illusion of multi-level with bridges, raised highways, and buildings of different height. I think a street on an incline would be pretty hard but probably doable. Maybe unwise for a total novice to try.

 

Here's a layout with streets on a hill. Though the actually street are hidden behind the houses.

 

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Minho_Douro_-_HOm.jpg

 

 

This type of transition between levels is probably more like something I'd be capable of.

 

https://www.pinterest.com/pin/692358142685413656/

 

 

Perhaps, I could add depth by either having two upper levels, or by breaking the upper level into two sections with smaller buildings in the foreground and larger buildings in the background. I'd have to try this out on to see if it creates an illusion or just a mess.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
3 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

https://rover.ebay.com/rover/0/0/0?mpre=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.ebay.co.uk%2Fulk%2Fitm%2F362087153599

Ahh,it is a monorail but not a hanging one sorry mate I thought it was and it’s not greenmax it’s Fujimi.

here it is,and extra track is also available.

 

Dude! It's awesome. It totally wouldn't have to be a hanging monorail. A regular monorail would also be fantastic. It's an ornament of course. I wonder if I could find some wiz to help me turn it into a working model. 

 

Thanks!!

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200

I still have the foamboard from our previous layout. I think I'll cut out a full-size replica of the "City end" of the new layout, and just start trying out different ideas. Though, I may not be able to tell until I have more buildings made.

 

sxg7zT0.jpg

 

l9NXE3v.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200

Project #1 will be learning generally how to build a tunnel and raised section. The tunnel interior will be visible through the front and side of the layout. The far side of the tunnel will be reachable through a lift-out section.

 

We're going to make life harder for ourselves here too. Both my son and I are adamant about modeling realistic tunnel interiors.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Realistic rounded profile tunnels are easy on straight always but tough on curves. Square profile are not hard on straight or curved. Usually vertical and horizontal supports ecery so often with the square profile.

 

jeff

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Making the monorail run is a bit of work. The best approach seems to be to have a rubber roller wheels that sit on the top of the rail to move the cars. There was a chap that was selling some mech kits for the old Disney land monorail models and he worked on a new 3d printed version for the greenmax model but I don't think it ever came to distribution fruition.

 

powering it can either be with copper strip tape along both sides of the rail with pickup wipes against them in the cars and classic train control or with batteries and a rc system to control it.

 

we had a few threads on this a few years back when these monorail models were released.

 

jeff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
5 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Making the monorail run is a bit of work. The best approach seems to be to have a rubber roller wheels that sit on the top of the rail to move the cars. There was a chap that was selling some mech kits for the old Disney land monorail models and he worked on a new 3d printed version for the greenmax model but I don't think it ever came to distribution fruition.

 

powering it can either be with copper strip tape along both sides of the rail with pickup wipes against them in the cars and classic train control or with batteries and a rc system to control it.

 

we had a few threads on this a few years back when these monorail models were released.

 

jeff

 

I'd be interested in looking into this. We actually have the Disneyland monorail toy. It's mechanized. Much bigger than N-scale. It's up in my son's room. I'll take a look at the mechanism tomorrow. 

 

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
21 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Realistic rounded profile tunnels are easy on straight always but tough on curves. Square profile are not hard on straight or curved. Usually vertical and horizontal supports ecery so often with the square profile.

 

jeff

 

Thanks, I'm going to start by collecting as many pictures of real and model tunnels as I can find for ideas.

 

But after a quick look, I think square profile would be good enough and best suited to my level of skill,

Edited by gavino200

Share this post


Link to post
Pauljag900

BDFC2518-6E59-43C1-BA16-AC5AAEEE9996.thumb.jpeg.acc5b9a723436d578dbc4409a1a1e45c.jpeg

With regards to the raised city area,sometimes it can be achieved by creating an illusion,if you like.I built a small village and shrine area on top of a mountain but no way could I connect the road to the lower levels it was so steep it would have looked ridiculous,so I just ran the road off the end off the board,I m not saying this would work for your idea but it s an option.

 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
8 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

 

With regards to the raised city area,sometimes it can be achieved by creating an illusion,if you like.I built a small village and shrine area on top of a mountain but no way could I connect the road to the lower levels it was so steep it would have looked ridiculous,so I just ran the road off the end off the board,I m not saying this would work for your idea but it s an option.

 

 

That looks really good!

 

I might be able to achieve the gradient either by continuing the slope up into the city. ie, the sloped road begins in the middle of the city, rather than at the edge. 

(general concept illustrated in Sumida Crossing      http://www.sumidacrossing.org/Musings/files/111227_Micro_Ace_E231-800.php   )

or

by creating a hair-pin in the road to give extra length for a lower gradient.

or 

a combination of both.

 

There could even be a road that goes down a tunnel, to come out at the lower level.

Edited by gavino200

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

The chap, bob Quincy, who did this did a very nice job and was doing a small biz refitting the Disney sets.

 

more info and his model here for the fujimi and greenmax models

 

 

btw the radius needs to be large for the cars to run well I expect. May need to custom print your own rail to make things work right. It's definitely a project! The mech bob did was pretty straightforward but is a bit of machining.

 

more here:

 

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4
8 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

 

With regards to the raised city area,sometimes it can be achieved by creating an illusion,if you like.I built a small village and shrine area on top of a mountain but no way could I connect the road to the lower levels it was so steep it would have looked ridiculous,so I just ran the road off the end off the board,I m not saying this would work for your idea but it s an option.

 

 

Great solution Paul just run the access off the edge of the world to get to the rest of the layout!

 

jeff

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
2 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

 

Great solution Paul just run the access off the edge of the world to get to the rest of the layout!

 

jeff

 

I missed the significance of that. I wouldn't necessarily have to have the city connected directly by road to the lower level.  It would definitely work visually, I think.

 

I'm betting the boy will have a problem with it though. Maybe not. I'm often surprised. 

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

Good exercise in teaching him tradeoffs! It's all about balancing things, can't have it all unless you are uber rich!

 

jeff

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
2 minutes ago, cteno4 said:

Gavin,

 

looks like bob is still doing custom work, but is shut down till feb due to a move

 

http://monorail.suzieandbob.com/index.html

 

cheers

 

jeff

 

Thanks Jeff. I'll look into this. February would be no problem. I'd be shocked if I'd finish the basic upper level and tunnels by then. 

 

All I'd really need is the make a decision and to know the basic dimensions so I could plan space for the monorail in the city. I'd probably, make a "with or without" plan just in case.

Share this post


Link to post
Pauljag900

I ve also used the tunnel concept too on the small village station area,

BFEBDD9A-3E30-4FFE-8B90-C8DB91CED22C.thumb.jpeg.347b147053056301d7f6c8e741bd9739.jpeg

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
1 minute ago, cteno4 said:

Good exercise in teaching him tradeoffs! It's all about balancing things, can't have it all unless you are uber rich!

 

jeff

 

He's pretty good with trade-offs. I'm not raising a Willy Wonka kid here!!! 

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
2 minutes ago, Pauljag900 said:

I ve also used the tunnel concept too on the small village station area,

BFEBDD9A-3E30-4FFE-8B90-C8DB91CED22C.thumb.jpeg.347b147053056301d7f6c8e741bd9739.jpeg

 

Yes!. I like that. A lot.

Share this post


Link to post
cteno4

I'll pull mine out and see what the stock radius is I can't remember.

 

might email bob and he might let you know the minimum his mech works with.

 

jeff

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Pauljag900

Two examples of putting the main feature in and then just making the rest up as I went along.

pain killers have kicked in now,gonna try and get some kip😂👍

catch up with you both later👍👍

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200
1 minute ago, cteno4 said:

I'll pull mine out and see what the stock radius is I can't remember.

 

might email bob and he might let you know the minimum his mech works with.

 

jeff

 

That would be great. Thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
gavino200

Tunnel interiors: I don't really like the style of this product - and it's not available in N-scale - but I like the idea of using textured material in this way for tunnel lining.

 

https://shop.noch.com/interior-tunnel-walls-straight-58030.html

 

Maybe something like this would work? I like the concrete. It has a nice modern look. 

 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10300495/20/1

 

or this

 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10196730

 

Strips of this might be good for a walkway.

 

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/image/10300501/20/1

 

Painted 30 gauge wire might work for cables against the wall. Maybe I could find a tiny rake shaped bracket to hold them together every ten scale yards or so.

Edited by gavino200

Share this post


Link to post
kvp

In Japan, trams were more like the classic streetcar type, while anything longer than a single car was usually built as an interurban line with high platforms.

 

Modern trams also tend to be the street running type, while straddle and hanging monorails with longer trains are popular for elevated non heavy rail use.

 

The 3rd type is the AGT, rubber tyred electric buses steered by the concrete sidewalls. Multiple units are also the norm here.

 

Afaik the Tokyo monorail (a straddle beam type) and the Yurikamome (AGT) are available as non motorised kits and then it's up to you to make them move.

 

ps: Tomytec motors are very easy to DCC even easier than non decoder ready Kato sets

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×