Insta-set that doesn't smell nasty??

gavino200

I'm talking about this stuff:

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Install-Bay-INSTAC-Instant-Set-Accelerator-2-oz/28829741?wmlspartner=wlpa&selectedSellerId=8959&adid=22222222227019238168&wl0=&wl1=g&wl2=c&wl3=40838829872&wl4=pla-78651987872&wl5=9024589&wl6=&wl7=&wl8=&wl9=pla&wl10=115786984&wl11=online&wl12=28829741&wl13=&veh=sem

Super-glue accelerator. I don't use it much, but sometimes it's a lifesaver. Except I HATE how it smells. I usually don't mind solvents, but this......Ugh! It's the most god-awful stuff I've ever smelled. Horrible sickly sweet and nauseateing. I can't even describe how terrible it is. And the next day, I swear the 'after smell' is even worse. Almost like stale piss. It takes forever for things to not smell of this stuff.

So my question: Is the smell from the chemical itself, or from some kind of additive? Is it possible to get insta-cure that is a bit less vomitous? 

Gavin,

water activates ca glue. I fog it with my breath and it usually helps quicken the hardening. If you want a Fillete to form you can also use baking soda and it kicks it pretty much instantly and also provides a support medium for gaps as ca does not do well with.

jeff

• Thanks 1
On 11/24/2017 at 11:57 PM, cteno4 said:

Gavin,

water activates ca glue. I fog it with my breath and it usually helps quicken the hardening. If you want a Fillete to form you can also use baking soda and it kicks it pretty much instantly and also provides a support medium for gaps as ca does not do well with.

jeff

I had to look that up - Fillete. That's a new term for me. I'm going to try that out!

Teacher talking here. It’s fillet. Same spelling as a boned side of fish. It’s a concave strip of material roughly triangular in cross section that rounds off an interior angle between two surfaces. OK, lesson over, carry on. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Sorry, dyslexic speller that can't spell with a gun to his head! But spawned from a mother with the most perfect spelling... no kidding she has found spelling errors in Webster's.

jeff

• Haha 1

No worries, I started it and probably need it most! It's ok, my friend is dyslexic like me and she won a Nobel, so not a total disaster!

I had the extra letters in there in my head, now to see if I can retain it's the same and then also spell fillet correctly (I want to spell it filet though!). Seriously it took me to my mid 30s to be sure it's their... 

keep on teaching todd, it's appreciated (even if we don't pay enough for the job sadly)

jeff

• Like 1