Happy Turkey Day!!

toc36

Just want to wish everyone a HAPPY THANKSGIVING!!

A day of gluttony and football.

I'm going to a friend's house.  He just retired and bought a country house out in the boondocks.  The previous owner passed away a few years back.  The home came with a TRAIN ROOM and includes O scale hi-rail layout and an HO layout.  We are going to trouble shoot is and try to get it running!

• Like 1

A game I've been playing since childhood goes something like this:

Person: "Happy Thanksgiving!"

Me: "Wait, what? That was last month... OH RIGHT! Okay, yeah, sorry, happy thanksgiving!"

• Sad 1

That's cauz things are frozen up there by this time of the year!  ;-p

toc can't wait to here the tales of the layout that came with the house! 

Gobble gobble gobble. Funny the term to gobble like gobble up is so perfect for thanksgiving day over eating a bird that actually says the word gobble! But two different roots.

Jeff

• Like 1
On 11/23/2017 at 11:21 PM, cteno4 said:

toc can't wait to here the tales of the layout that came with the house! 

Jeff,

Didn't get any train work done..........

My buddy's new home is near the border of Shenandoah National Park.  About 180 degrees of tremendous view of one the ridgelines.  Since they are still renovating and unpacking, he hasn't gotten time to work on the train room.

The room itself was about 24' by 14'  The table ran along the walsl.  Had to crawl under to get into the room.  The table varied in depth from 3' to 6'.  No way to reach the back tracks.  This is a combination layout with HO, O Hi-Rail, and what looked to be G scale.  Nothing was tacked down.  Just track laid on the table.  The previous owner did not leave any G scale items.  O scale had some cars, but no engines.  There were about a half-dozen HO engine and about 20 cars.  One of the transformers was about 50 years old.  The previous owner built the room and the bench work, then became non-ambulatory and couldn't negotiate the stair into the basement.  Nothing was new or recent.  

The wall of the train room is just framing with wood panels.  I think he will lose most of the real estate to a home theater/family/rec room.  My buddy is looking at a folded or bent dog bone and is planning on re-configuring the bench work.  I think he probably won't get to start for another year or two.  Starting new might be the cheaper and faster way to go.

Mark

Mark,

ahh sorry it wasnt something to start playing with right away. 

Funny we have two jrm members that have moved right out in the same area! Wish it was closer to visit them more, beautiful out there. Both are also up on the ridges with views you just want sit back with a glass of wine or beer and chill. One has a small vineyard and full winery in the basement and the other has large aviaries for rehabilitating raptors, so very nice places to visit.  

jeff