Tokyo Metro Third Rail Grade Crossing

bill937ca

The Ginza line was Tokyo's first subway opening in 1927. Because the Ginza line has third rail private railway interurbans cannot be routed into it. For this reason all new subway lines are built with overhead catenary.

This is grade crossing is in central Tokyo and uses third rail. It is on the entrance to the Tokyo Metro Ginza line's yard near Ueno. Overhead gates come down and close the cross street, then the gate on the train line opens and the train crosses.  The gates over the train tracks keep pedestrians out of the yard and away from the third rail.

File:Ginza_Line_Level_Crossing_at_Ueno.jpg

This web page has some detail photos of the crossing and the yard.

http://www.geocities.jp/travelog73/TokyouMetro.htm

I found the Ueno yard by complete accident when I was there last year. It was the damnest thing, but at that time I had given no thought about the third rail. Had, I, I'd've been a bit worried about getting as close to the cross as I did. I'll note that the grade crossing's road does not see much traffic and is a side street three blocks or so from Ueno Station.

099.jpg

Mudkip Orange

There's similar crossings on the Chicago L (Skokie/Yellow Line), and there used to be a couple on the Brown/Ravenswood line and on NYC's "L" train (14th/Canarsie Local). Being America, none of them are/were as well protected from pedestrian interlopers as the Ueno tracks are.

Here's something very interesting.  An emergency in the subway that required a major haz mat response. A 0:39 you can look into the yard from the sidewalk crossing gate.

Translated description:

"Vehicles occurred in the garage at the Tokyo Metro Police and fire brigade NBC chemical protective vehicles gathered at the scene of disaster. Fire Rescue Task Force Headquarters to the direction of the third fire-Wearing chemical protective clothing after wearing positive pressure now."

90% of the LIRR works off the 3rd rail and the only time a train stops in when it comes to a station which is about every 3-5 minutes averaging 5 stations on the onset. Safety wise it's a great idea that the Japanese have, a common accident on the LIRR is someone stepping on the 3rd rail which they can easily access.