Brand new to T-Trak, having a blast!

tt0880

Hey everyone!

So, I'm relatively new to the forums, but I have made a few posts. I'm having a blast with my home layout, but I was lucky enough to find a local N-Scale club full of great guys. We do two types of train shows, our N-Trak modules and just this year the club has started breaking into T-Trak modules. Since I'm relatively new to the hobby overall, I knew I didn't have enough skill or space for a huge N-Trak module, so getting into T-Trak was the perfect start.

So, I'd like to present to you, my first ever module, a Japanese Shrine!

large.IMG_20171121_203827.jpg.66b4253e7628fb9cf0c06ca696cbc4fd.jpglarge.IMG_20171121_203841.jpg.447e0e2b17651735136a8c599a024d0d.jpglarge.IMG_20171121_204034.jpg.e2d92af66bd7553d207996811f3ed43e.jpglarge.IMG_20171121_203904.jpg.adfdf41b8853a3b66407e4a096de8505.jpg

As you can see, I also have my awesome limited edition Kato pocket line train. I think it fits in perfectly with the module!

So, it's not perfect, but I'm super proud of how it turned out. This was my first time doing any sort of scenery on my own. I think it's such a fun piece and even if it won't fit in with the other modules at all, I think it will be even better because it will stand out! 

Let me know what you think! I'll be sure to post future ones here as well.

• Like 12
9 minutes ago, katoftw said:

Look great.

What product did you use for the temple gravel?

Thank you!

And to be honest, I'm not sure. I got a plastic bag of whatever it is for 50 cents at my last train show... Some sort of almost sand looking substance. Might have been woodland scenics because a lot of their other stuff was.

Tt, 

great shrine scene! Glad you found a local club to play with too! Maybe you will convert a few into running Japanese trains. Ttrak is great to focus on little scenes like this. This one is going to pop at the next show! 

For good very fine sand look at candle sand at the craft stores. It's about as fine as you can usually get cheap and in small quantities. You can ge very fine ground sand and glass that's used for sand blasting but it can be hard to get a small amount. You can laynthe sand down in a thin glue application then paint to a color of choice with thin acrylic paint washes. You loose a little texture but good affect and while not scale sand, it gives the effect.

cheers

jeff

My only suggestion would be to put a thin permanent base under each structure on the module, so they always have a flat surface to sit on and you don't get the black shadow underneath them where there's open space.  If a bit of gravel or foliage gets on them between shows, it would be easy enough to brush it off before putting the structure on top.