Do you know a (European) supplier for blue-white wire to extend the KATO track power wiring?

JanW

This is probably a stupid question:
I am looking for a (preferably European to avoid import duties) supplier, of the kind of blue-white wires similar to those used by Kato for the track power supply.  I need to extend the standard track power wires while avoiding the relatively expensive KATO extension wires (263 Yen for less than 1 meter wire) as well as the KATO distribution box (see the pics below). I also want to use them to make my own version of the Kato wired Uni-Joiner. 

20080228-20_825.jpg

31asArN3icL.jpg

41HChxqlFwL.jpg

The blue and white paired wire can be hard to find, usually red and black paired like this. Any 22g stranded wire (or larger) will work. Unless you just want it color coordinated you can just standardize in red to white and blue to black or something like that. Wire has gotten very expensive in the last few years so shop around. Speaker wire is sometimes the cheapest thing you can get for stranded, especially two stranded, wire. But many of those are color coded by the wire with one copper colored and the other silver so a little harder to distinguish quickly unstripped but no problem when wiring things up on the bench, again just standardize. 

Also the cheap euro terminal strips are handy for doing splits and adding more feeds. You can cut them up into pairs where needed.

also if you don't know about heat shrink, then check it out as it's the best way to insulate and protect your splices. Very simple to use.

if you want the kato connectors the tamiya rc connectors work with kato. The cheap copies on ebay also work, but can sometimes need a bit of filing on a barrel as their males can be just a tad to big. Using connectors you can just make your whole own wires to suit your needs and use a larger gauge wire as well as the kato is a bit whimpy.

jeff

Edited by cteno4
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
17 minutes ago, bill937ca said:

I do not recommend them. They seem more oriented to the foreign market and do not charge VAT, and are generally more expensive and cumbersome than asking your local hobbystore to order it for you. As pretty much any hobbystore in The Netherlands buys stuff from NOCH, it should not be a problem at all.

Bit late here,but I buy blue and White separately from eBay,cut the lengths I need then twist the ens together and put them in a cordless drill,hold the other two loose ends and twist them together,it also straightens the wire out.