Vehicles missing wheels - repair or throw away?

gavino200

These vehicles have been in the hospital for a long time. There's no chance that the missing wheels will be found. Is it possible to get replacement wheels for n scale vehicles?  Is there a write-up for making replacements that anyone knows of? Or are they just trash now?

VkfoVWK.jpg

Time for a wrecking yard? Or have them up on a hoist getting repaired. Or if they have two wheels, park them against a wall where you can't see the missing wheels.

• Like 2

Todds got it just put them in posisitions where you can't see the missing wheels!

maybe toni will make a set of a small range of 1/150 tires on his shapeways shop. There are 1/160 truck tires on shapeways now.

jeff

1 hour ago, tossedman said:

Time for a wrecking yard? Or have them up on a hoist getting repaired. Or if they have two wheels, park them against a wall where you can't see the missing wheels.

Those are good ideas. I hadn't really thought of these things as stationary items. We tend to move them around as the drama enfolds.

Smaller than that, but yes. I'm guessing 16g wire would have the about 4mm diameter for an n scale tire. Go to home depot and you can buy a foot of the right sized wire to match your missing tires. Solid core is easiest to strip. Pull off 1\2" of insulation and slice off a few 1mm or so thick slices. Hardest thing will be getting nice clean perpendicular and parallel slices. The fill in part of the center with a drop of glue or paint.

jeff

• Like 1
1 minute ago, cteno4 said:

Smaller than that, but yes. I'm guessing 16g wire would have the about 4mm diameter for an n scale tire. Go to home depot and you can buy a foot of the right sized wire to match your missing tires. Solid core is easiest to strip. Pull off 1\2" of insulation and slice off a few 1mm or so thick slices. Hardest thing will be getting nice clean perpendicular and parallel slices. The fill in part of the center with a drop of glue or paint.

jeff

I'll try it. Will post results.

One of the online shops in Germany (modellbahn union or dm-toys) has various N scale replacement wheelsets for cars and trucks. Real rubber and separate hubs, so also good for faller moving trucks.

• Like 2
These vehicles have been in the hospital for a long time. There's no chance that the missing wheels will be found. Is it possible to get replacement wheels for n scale vehicles?  Is there a write-up for making replacements that anyone knows of? Or are they just trash now?

VkfoVWK.jpg
Why don't do junkyard?

Sent from my Lenovo YT-X703L using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Like the old ambulance. I grew up in Birmingham when these were in use in the 1950s / 60s, proper coachbuilt vehicles designed for the job and built by Daimler who became part of Jaguar and later just built big limosines as government, wedding and funeral cars before they ended up as just a badge on tarted up Jags. These ambulances disappeared in the 1970s being replaced by cheap, disposable van conversions based on Ford Transits and the like.

• Like 1

Great product. The tires are actually rubber with faint thread markings. They're too big for the small cars. The wheel size is ok for the blue minivan, but I'll have to work the hub thickness for them to fit. 

Worth it for saving the old ambulance. I like it all the more after yakumo381 shared the history. I remember them too from when I was a kid. (I grew up on "John Bull's other island").

I probably should change out the other axle so it doesn't look like such a patch job.

ke4xgCN.jpg

Edited by gavino200