Under the layout lighting solution?

gavino200

I recently finished a project that required a lot of work with 30 gauge wires under the layout. Lighting was a big problem. I used and emergency/camping light, combined with some clip on reading lights, and a flashlight that I had to move around so that it was always directly below where I was working.

I was thinking of solutions for the future, but rather than trying to re-invent the wheel I figured I'd see if anyone else has found a good solution.

Things I thought of:

1. A roll-out LED strip. Problem is  I'd be sitting on it so I'd block the light directly where I was working. 

2. Actually Place LEDs under the table. Seems excessive. Also, I'm not sure I'm ready for the work involved yet. 

3. A super bright floodlight, like the ones car guys use. But I seem to remember that these get very hot.

Anyone got the perfect light to recommend?

The new 10-30w led worklights don't get super hot and some have a decent battery option (although it drives the price up). You can easily move them around and point them up. Problem with lighting under a layout like this is you are close to the lamp and of you glance into it or it's in the corner of your eye it will really blow your vision out. 

Strip leds along the inside edge of the layout frame may wor, but again if you stare into them they blow the eyes out...

These little guys are bright, handy and cheap I use them on the bench and around the shop and have used the clipon version working under the sink. They are good out to 24" or so max. Clip ones might work on your framework underneath and spot what you need.

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20169658/

http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/20315674/

Always a balance in these situations on getting enough light and not too much, plus getting it on what you need. I've had this issue on equipment installs into podiums, racks etc for decades and no magic bullet in tight spaces.

head lamps can work, but they can cause neck strain with longer focused use as you hold your head tight in one position to keep the light on what you are looking at and usually we move our heads around some and the light seems to stop that some. I've tried a few different styles and they all end up causing my neck to get tight in 10-20 min of work when that's not a normal problem for me at all. I also like the light to come in at a bit of an angle from my sight line as it adds some more shade/contrast lines that get blown out when the light is right along the site line.

Cheers,

Jeff

My solution was to use a flexible desk lamp placed on the floor next to the table and set to point inwards and slightly up. A similar one that is used by pixar as a mascot. It's a good enough light and could actually flood a large area. If you are worried about heat, it's possible to get led bulbs for the classic edison sockets. Also doubles as a desk/workbench/reading lamp when not need under the table.

I have a LED shop/work light that is Snap-On branded and I picked it up at Costco fairly cheap.

It gets warm but not too hot and floods whatever I am working on with warm light (not blue-ish LED lighting).

If you have  a Harbor Freight nearby, look on their site for "LED work light" to see some lower cost options, including some chargeable options to keep you cordless.

• Like 1