For those of you who complain about . . . say, MicroAce prices

2 hours ago, katoftw said:

What is the correlation between Japanese Model Railway prices and Japanese pottery prices?

Between one and two fancy ceramic cups will get you a nice O gauge locomotive.

Also if you venture into the basement of Poppondetta in Akihabara, there is (or was until recently) an N gauge unit which will set you back around the cost of one of these cups.

I dunno. Having visited a pottery market or two, the prices have never withhold me from buying any. The space in our kitchen cabinet however...

That said, art has its price. Mass production is a different question. I do have two upcoming MA trains on my to-buy-list, which I will most probably buy.

On 11/11/2017 at 9:59 PM, railsquid said:

Also if you venture into the basement of Poppondetta in Akihabara, there is (or was until recently) an N gauge unit which will set you back around the cost of one of these cups.

Out of curiosity, which unit was it?

On that note though take a look at the TT9 prices... ¥17,000 for an OHa47 kit, ¥380,000 for a 7-car KiHa81 set... ¥18,500 for a KiHa20 body kit...

If I had the money, though, I'd totally go for TT9 though. TT is a great size, and at that 1:120, the 9mm track is perfect for cape gauge (TT9 is pretty common for modelling NZ railways for that reason).

2 hours ago, nah00 said:

Out of curiosity, which unit was it?

I have a feeling it was a JNR 301 series by one of the minor manufacturers, will check next time I pass by to see if it's still there.

4 hours ago, railsquid said:

I have a feeling it was a JNR 301 series by one of the minor manufacturers, will check next time I pass by to see if it's still there.

Yes, i have a feeling that will get covered very soon by a larger manufacturer. :-)