How did you improve your rolling stock?

Densha

For some reason Kato give you way to much, wheels, coupler spring and center screw all doubled up just by getting grey bogies.

IMG_0345small.thumb.jpg.1580ff1922edb2d3f74cbddd4cbe1a9f.jpg

Final outcome...

IMG_0347small.thumb.jpg.6cfe297e4329f6c34abb72e589532f1e.jpg

• Like 6
Das Steinkopf
19 minutes ago, katoftw said:

JNR

IMG_0344small.thumb.jpg.ee6912aaa8655307a3adcbb61cab7eb7.jpg

JRF

IMG_0346small.thumb.jpg.edeb83f5bb887417b46d7de835d6de84.jpg

When I saw your “what did the post deliver” post I was about to reply that someone may have fallen down the slipperier slope of JNR freight, looks like sanity has prevailed this time. 

14 hours ago, gavino200 said:

Those are awesome JR!! Where did you get them? I want to get some for my Sunrise pre-order. Also, I think I want some of those for any train I have that they make 'em for.

BTW didn't you just sell a Sunrise? How many do you have??

Haha thanks! I got them through my usual China hunt, from a guy's shop named Hayashi... they are sticker decals, which means straight up cut and paste without the need for glue, and they use pictures for application instructions which are easy to understand ~ There are a couple more trains that he has made interiors for, like the E233 series, E231 series, Nankai Rapidto, Seven Stars, Tokyu 5050 etc... 

I have 2 Sunrise sets, one 285-0 and one 285-3000... I initially had the intention to run a 14 car combined set, but I realise that can only be a dream for me in my minute layout... 

And finally the Sunrise is done! The first 2 cars and rear 2 cars were pretty straight forward and identical, but the Saro compartment car (car 4) and the Nobi Nobi (car 5) is a true killer for time and patience... 

QxYuHbB.jpg

The 3rd car, also the motor car, with the rest area seats

23OixBe.jpg

Aska24g.jpg

The Saro car upper deck... with each individual rooms detail

y7lMoaK.jpg

mLiG89i.jpg

Saro car lower deck, supposedly a Twin sharing room 

9HWXAQb.jpg

r7gpoIh.jpg

svSrAvG.jpg

And both rooms combined~ I love how the attention to detail is being made, with mirrors, hangers and wash basins!

4q00lsc.jpg

Here's how it looks like from the 'corridor' side 

DN0FN4R.jpg

And quite seriously, you really cant see much of it with the shell on... even with the lights on.. I think the reflection is hiding the details...

And even more extensive... The Nobi Nobi car!

SxAX2e3.jpg

The upper deck of the Nobi Nobi beds...

VR7hTTM.jpg

xNOj7vo.jpg

And the combined decks together... Love the curtain though...

lJV3vuj.jpg

With the shell back on..

R0XRq6D.jpg

xOC6ubU.jpg

And the lights on ~ Cant see it much though... makes me wonder if all that effort is worth it...

All in all a really extensive project that takes a lot of time and patience, for a little upgrade that is not so visible... I do hope the Seven Stars one is a much better upgrade since it has much larger windows... 

• Like 7
10 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

All in all a really extensive project that takes a lot of time and patience, for a little upgrade that is not so visible... I

I disagree. I think it looks amazing!!

10 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Haha thanks! I got them through my usual China hunt, from a guy's shop named Hayashi...

Can you give me a link to his store. I'd love to get some of these for my Sunrise and also for my E233. They really add depth and authenticity to the trains. 

Nice job applying the stickers by the way. Your Sunrise looks great!

Run into a bit of a problem while looking at what I need to do to finish my Tsurumi Line conversion of a Kato Kokuden 103 Series. While I've added aircon pods I still need the squared shoulders on the roof just outboard of them. At the moment I'm contemplating using some L section styrene cut to length, filed to fit the roof profile and with the ends filled in, unless anyone has any better ideas?

2 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

Tiny victory!

The DE10 now has its brass horns mounted, thanks to the lighted magnifier. 

Nice! Yes. Magnification is the key to N scale !!

• Like 2
On ‎3‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 6:07 AM, gavino200 said:

Can you give me a link to his store. I'd love to get some of these for my Sunrise and also for my E233. They really add depth and authenticity to the trains. 

Nice job applying the stickers by the way. Your Sunrise looks great!

Hi Gavin, thanks for the kind comments! The guy only has a web shop in a Chinese app called 'Tabao', kind of a version of Ali-baba. I don't know if it will be possible for foreign customers to access... They do look quite nice especially the 235 one which really made a huge difference to the interior! 

7 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Hi Gavin, thanks for the kind comments! The guy only has a web shop in a Chinese app called 'Tabao', kind of a version of Ali-baba. I don't know if it will be possible for foreign customers to access... They do look quite nice especially the 235 one which really made a huge difference to the interior! 

Usually buying from Taobao for export is no problem. But I can't find anything searching for "Hayashi" in latin characters. Do you by any chance have his shop name in simplified hanzi or maybe a link to his shop?

On 3/24/2019 at 2:28 AM, gavino200 said:

Usually buying from Taobao for export is no problem. But I can't find anything searching for "Hayashi" in latin characters. Do you by any chance have his shop name in simplified hanzi or maybe a link to his shop?

Great! I didnt realise foreigners could purchase from Taobao! This option opens up a whole new wealth of train options!

Here's the linky to his shop: 

【Hayashi铁道模型】,復·制这段描述¥FSlQbCmk5dM¥后咑閞👉手机淘宝👈或者用浏览器咑閞https://m.tb.cn/h.3BSm7W6?sm=77c805查看

He just listed a new item, the interior decals for Ibusuki no Tametabako, and needless to say i will get it! 😆

Edited by JR 500系
8 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Great! I didnt realise foreignerd could purchase from Taobao! This option opens up a whole new wealth of train options!

You mean老外 ? Surely Sillyporeans are also 外国人, no?

8 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

Here's the linky to his shop: 

【Hayashi铁道模型】,·制这段描述¥FSlQbCmk5dM¥后咑閞👉手机淘宝👈或者用浏览器咑閞https://m.tb.cn/h.3BSm7W6?sm=77c805查看

He just listed a new item, the interior decals for Ibusuki no Tametabako, and needless to say i will get it! 😆

Thanks. I found it.

https://shop218017588.taobao.com/?spm=a230r.7195193.1997079397.135.6c691664TIvqtJ

1 hour ago, gavino200 said:

You mean老外 ? Surely Sillyporeans are also 外国人, no?

Thanks. I found it.

https://shop218017588.taobao.com/?spm=a230r.7195193.1997079397.135.6c691664TIvqtJ

Haha apologizes for a poorly timed typo error... was susposed to mean foreigners & not foreignerd... it sucks typing on my android with my fat fingers... 🤣

Great! Have fun shopping!

• Like 1

Wow these sticker sets look incredible, especially for the Seven stars and the Ibusuki. I’m very tempted. What’s the quality like? Are they vinyl type stickers that will remove, reset, if needed to reposition things? Or lower quality paper stickers that tear easily?

1553557849276-2052349051.thumb.jpg.d922a78a29d94c6c71ebe43da3414126.jpg

Not sure this really counts as improving rolling stock. But have had this 12 car case for 3 or 4 years and never used it. Was gonna house Keihan 600s and 700s but beat the addiction. Now my Kumaden collection is somewhat bigger. It was time to case them together.

Case is about 30% thinner and takes up the same space as 2.5 cardboard Tomytec 2 car boxes. So a good space saving also. Still got 4 more free slots for future purchases.

Edited by katoftw
9 hours ago, Kamome said:

Wow these sticker sets look incredible, especially for the Seven stars and the Ibusuki. I’m very tempted. What’s the quality like? Are they vinyl type stickers that will remove, reset, if needed to reposition things? Or lower quality paper stickers that tear easily?

They are quite high quality vinyl type stickers that dont tear easily & have quite good adhesive power, hence yes they can be re-position but not too many times till they lose their adhesion. The package is nice too, & comes with illustrative pictures to show where exactly each decal go, & often they are a perfect fit! 

I love it, and have already gotten the Ibusuki though i only have the 2 car set... heck they look so nice i'm tempted to get the Kato Hokutosei to fit those lovely stickers in!!

Now i just hope they will do one for the Shikishima... or the Twilight express... all these grade up interiors really does make it look a little better, & the best thing is it feels kind off like being in the real train when i'm applying the decals! 

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 2

A lot of "early modern MicroAce" chassis (ca. 1999 and later, with old Tomix-style axle pickups and no flywheel) suffer from an audible "burr" when running. This can usually be silenced by greasing the black rings on either end of the worm gear, both inside and outside:

32526595867_8872f01376_z.jpg

microace-155-series-wormgear-lubrication by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Ignore the blob of grease on the worm gear itself, that doesn't require much lubrication and any excess will end up lining the inside walls of the bogie tower.

This makes it quiet enough that the noise of the motor is not audible above the general clamour of the wheels clattering over the track.

Note that this style of chassis is  a bit of a pain to work with, as the bogies are not held firmly in place until the car interior is fitted in place, and if not careful the entire bogie will come out of the chassis, requiring careful re-insertion of the drive shaft.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3
On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 9:42 AM, JR 500系 said:

Haha apologizes for a poorly timed typo error... was susposed to mean foreigners & not foreignerd... it sucks typing on my android with my fat fingers... 🤣

Great! Have fun shopping!

I bought the Sunrise and the E235 sets. It took a day before my credit card would work through Alipay. But I'm all set now. I think I'll go browsing the Chinese n scale trains.

Can you recommend any other good stores on Taobao?

For anyone else who's interested these are the detail pages for the sticker sets.

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z0d.6639537.1000647.1.3c6274842a1uRb&scm=1007.13982.82927.0&id=583544607512&last_time=1553569121

The E235 set is much more basic. 

https://item.taobao.com/item.htm?spm=a1z10.1-c-s.w4004-18574838822.13.39854825l61Xt0&id=571840236061

And here are some of his other sets available for sale ~

https://shop218017588.taobao.com/?spm=2013.1.1000126.2.4ee92531PLEfnE

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1

Is this a different source to the Hong Kong-based densha.me? https://www.densha.me

33 minutes ago, Yavianice said:

Sadly this shop doesn't ship to the EU it seems...

Well I hear there's a simple solution to that being enacted by one current EU member state 😉