How did you improve your rolling stock?

Densha

Just now, gavino200 said:

I'd actually like a sheet if you can print one more. But even more I'd love to learn the method. Any chance you could post a short description of the process? Maybe in the  "Airbrushing techniques" thread that I started a while ago. I like to keep this stuff in one place so I can go back there and re-learn it after I've forgotten. Btw, do you mind if I cut/paste your paint mixing pictures and descriptions over there?

I'm really enjoying the masking/airbrushing process. I want to do a whole lot more of it. Where are you scoring the base model for this blue Chinese loco btw? I might have to be a copycat.

Go for it!  I'm learning as I go, so I'm happy to share and inspire others.  For the model I'm using a kato C30-7.  The Chinese ND5 is actually an imported GE C36-7, which is almost identical other than some vent locations.  Should be an easy kitbash as just some new paint will get you a 95% accurate model.

Finally put the roof equipment on my rilakkuma yellow happy train. It wouldn't be a greenmax set without some assembly. I have to say I am not a fan of their sticker sets. Not very forgiving. I ruined my shinagawa sign board 😞    .... maybe I have an extra from my blue sky 600 kit?

20180912_185157.jpg

• Like 5

Hey folks, just got the Kato D51-200 and was about to install the number plates but there's 2 types.  A black and red one, I looked at pictures in the internet and I see both.  Does the red number signify something different compared to the black one?  The Kato cover art shows the black one was just curious as to why they included both.  Kinda leaning towards the red one but would like to have more information so I make an informed decision. Thanks.

Thanks, Gryphr!  Sounds good, red plates it is then and plus it looks really cool!  My 2 SL Yamaguchis' - Kato D51-200 and Tomix C57-1.

IMG_5273.thumb.jpg.906bc8a1dcd766b234eafdc82aa93641.jpg

• Like 7

I tried to make the Kato 101 look a bit less plasticky.

IMG_1999.JPG.04e37d867dfc4fc039673885146d6cec.JPGIMG_2001.JPG.3107a91ec2674c16bb45a5be758a550c.JPG

I painted the round vents so they look less shiny. I applied a little bit of weathering to the roof and the bogies and, most obviously, painted the door rubber with a black Gunpla marker.

• Like 2

I'm entering the modeling business, first up a limited three car run of exclusive business cars!  
20180919_134533.thumb.jpg.2c9b4173c7c28dda8930335b3162a86d.jpg20180919_134307.thumb.jpg.7428319c7da6e7a3cf542ce2a54f2d2a.jpg20180919_134538.thumb.jpg.d1e62690502ddad87f1eaffb0f7717b0.jpg

In actuality I'm making three business cars for the local club.  I am detailing and relettering the kato business cars so the existing lettering had to go.  A little work with 99% IPA did wonders, and leaves the paint underneath looking shiny new!  Hopefully they'll be well received, I've already had one person put in a pre-order for theirs!  

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1
34 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I'm entering the modeling business, first up a limited three car run of exclusive business cars!  

In actuality I'm making three business cars for the local club.  I am detailing and relettering the kato business cars so the existing lettering had to go.  A little work with 99% IPA did wonders, and leaves the paint underneath looking shiny new!  Hopefully they'll be well received, I've already had one person put in a pre-order for theirs!  

How are you going to re-letter them? Are you making custom decals?

3 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

How are you going to re-letter them? Are you making custom decals?

Yep, for the drumhead I'll be using a decal of the club logo from a custom run the club had made.  And for the other lettering I plan use clear inkjet printer decal paper and print my own.  

Edited by Kiha66
  • Like 1
11 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

Yep, for the drumhead I'll be using a decal of the club logo from a custom run the club had made.  And for the other lettering I plan use clear inkjet printer decal paper and print my own.  

Fantastic! Any chance you could make a thread in the "Techniques" forum, outlining the method? This is something I'd very much like to learn. 

2 minutes ago, gavino200 said:

Fantastic! Any chance you could make a thread in the "Techniques" forum, outlining the method? This is something I'd very much like to learn. 

Sure, I'll try to post how I do it and whatever the results end up being!

• Thanks 1

Bought this interior sheet for a long time, but didn't have time to apply it, but here goes:

QqTRr3l.jpg

Here's the boring old interior 

TrYBY2o.jpg

Cant really say I like the interior especially under lighting 

LZJxvIs.jpg

This is better! Just a small minor change by adding some seat decals on the benches... 

When I get the better grade up version (for the E235 series) that features floor decals even, I bet it would look even better!

• Like 5
47 minutes ago, JR 500系 said:

This is better! Just a small minor change by adding some seat decals on the benches... 

When I get the better grade up version (for the E235 series) that features floor decals even, I bet it would look even better!

Nice! Are those from that place in Hong Kong?

• Like 1
16 hours ago, railsquid said:

Nice! Are those from that place in Hong Kong?

Yap indeed they are! Trying a newer version soon, that features even the flooring decals which will surely make the interior 'shine out'! 

• Like 1
7 hours ago, serotta1972 said:

The shrubbery, gangway, roof bits and destination board. I think those are the obvious ones. 

And the shiny silver wheels exchanged for blackened sets.

The "whistle" (horizontal grey roof bit third from the right) was pain, as you have to dismantle the entire bodyshell and drill 0.5 mm holes (according to the instructions) in the roof, then discover that's too tight and needs to be 0.6mm, managed to get though 3 of the 6 supplied whistle parts before getting it right.

And finally, for now, the numbers:

44950428912_e8cb2343ae_z.jpg

Tomix 115-1000 series by Rail Squid, on Flickr

Edited by railsquid
  • Like 1

Wow, good eye Sam.  Squid, I commend you for drilling - none of my Tomix 115's have those bits on the roof as I don't want to hurt them. 🙂

43 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

I'd also point out it went from a Kuha to a Kumoha, notice the blower intake vent just after the drivers door.  😁

Correct, also there's a toilet at the far end.

(The layout has a "Tokyo" and a "away from Tokyo" orientation and for that unit the Kumoha is facing away from Tokyo).

Bound for Kobuchizawa:

44068241395_91d8b7c257_z.jpg

• Like 3
4 hours ago, railsquid said:

Correct, also there's a toilet at the far end.

(The layout has a "Tokyo" and a "away from Tokyo" orientation and for that unit the Kumoha is facing away from Tokyo).

Bound for Kobuchizawa:

44068241395_91d8b7c257_z.jpg

That’s great. Did it come with the train or you printed it?

Just got this, an upgraded version over the previous one:

EIiA7tA.jpg

Which features not just the seats, but even the flooring!

MytUrv2.jpg

And it REALLY does make a HUGE difference! I love it!

QVLEMIa.jpg

7xkbHZy.jpg

Yes I just realised I made a terrible mistake... 

Each car took around 20-30 mins to cut and paste all the decals... extensive for a 11-car, but I feel it is well worth the effort, especially more so if the trains have interior lights in them to let these details shine out more!

• Like 8
4 hours ago, Khaul said:

That’s great. Did it come with the train or you printed it?

It's the original stickers supplied with the model. IIRC it's a 2003 model, so was curious to see if the stickers and particularly the decals were still usable, but no problems.

Took a bit of time to get everything done, but very satisfying once finished (though I might make a couple more changes).

Difference between original couplings/wheelsets and the replacements:

43116845920_e664e67bd6_z.jpg

Tomix-115-1000 series improvements by Rail Squid, on Flickr

• Like 1