Suggestions of what not to miss on a 2 week stay in Kyoto

bubbles2

Very soon my wife and myself are taking a trip to Kyoto from the UK to visit our son Luke, who is there for at least a year on a post doctoral fellowship studying at a university.

As a life long railway enthusiast and modeler I'm very keen not to miss anything of railway related interest while we are there, I'm aware of the large new railway museum in Kyoto and we are planning to spend a day there. We also are planning a day trip to Tokyo, hopefully by bullet train. But is there anything we shouldn't miss, model shops, photo vantage points, tourist or preserved railways or train trips? All suggestions gratefully received and you never know on our return I may post a few pictures and report of our trip.

Edited by bubbles2

I did a few very nice rail trips in Kyoto a couple of years ago:

-Arashiyama: we took a Hankyu limited express to Katsura and changed there to the branch line. We came back with the Randen, a nice tram, and metro. There is a wonderful imperial villa in Katsura and the famous bamboo forest in Arashiyama.

-Nara: we went by Kintetsu express and back by JR West. There are many famous temples in Nara. It is much worth to pay a visit.

-We took the Keihan and Eizan railways to visit the Shukaguin imperial villa. The Eizan can also take you to the foot of mount Hiei.

I didn't do the following, but they are definitely in my plans for the future:

-The Keihan Otsu line.

-A trip to Osaka with the Keihan, back with the Hankyu.

-The Tango Kyoto railway via the San'in main line. Although that may take a bit of time to explore.

• Thanks 1
The Next Station Is...

If you're visiting the railway museum, it's not too far a walk to Volks Hobby Square, which has some model railway layouts and a very well stocked shop - you'd expect that as it is in the building which is Volk's own headquarters!

https://www.volks.co.jp/jp/shop/kyoto_hs/

You can also find a Popondetta store in the Aeon Mall on the south side of Kyoto Station.

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk

I'm a big fan of Eizan.  Make the trip to both far ends.  At Yase-Hieizan-guchi you can take the Eizan Cable Car (like an inclined railway) and then the Eizan Ropeway (tram) to the top of the Mt. Hiei for a nice view.  At the other end, Kurama, there is a temple and a shrine to visit.  In autumn, there are special night trains that run with the trees illuminated.

While I have never been on it, there is a sightseeing train at Arashiyama, the Sagano Scenic Railway.  I know it is crazy popular during peak tourist seasons in spring and autumn, and it sells out regularly.

21 hours ago, Khaul said:

-Arashiyama: we took a Hankyu limited express to Katsura and changed there to the branch line. We came back with the Randen, a nice tram, and metro. There is a wonderful imperial villa in Katsura and the famous bamboo forest in Arashiyama.

I'd only do that if coming from Osaka, e.g. Umeda (Hankyu). From Kyoto itself, there are many better routes, depending on where in Kyoto. The Randen is cool of course. Bicycling along the Kamo and Katsura rivers is also cool, and another way to get to Arashiyama. I recommend visiting the bamboo forest as early in the morning as possible to avoid crowds, especially if you're into photography. Also bus services may be very convenient too. Especially if you want to visit the Golden Pavilion. 

Starting from Demachiyanagi near Kyoto University, the train up Mt Hiei is cool. Not cheap. If you like hiking, I've walked up to the top quite a few times (and over to Lake Biwa). There is the wonderful Kyoto Trail which nearly circles the city. Demachiyanagi is also the terminus of the Keihan main line.

For the record, I spent the last academic year living at Kyoto University. (And working sometimes in Osaka.) And ended up with a small collection of Kyoto-focused N-gauge. I also visit the area a few times a year.

As for model railway trains, best to visit Osaka. More selection. More 2nd hand trains. 

PA020002s.jpg

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I'm finding it quite difficult as the names and places are not easy to place with very little knowledge of the country hopefully it will make more sense when we are there, are there free tourist information leaflets as we have in the UK? A map will also be a necessity I think.

On 04/11/2017 at 6:41 PM, bubbles2 said:

Thanks everyone for the replies and suggestions. I'm finding it quite difficult as the names and places are not easy to place with very little knowledge of the country hopefully it will make more sense when we are there, are there free tourist information leaflets as we have in the UK? A map will also be a necessity I think.

Yup, plenty of free tourist leaflets etc. available in English.

Keihan Otsu line has been mentioned; this is an eastwards extension of Kyoto's Tozai Metro line with on-street running in the town of Otsu, which is outside of Kyoto on the shores of Japan's largest lake, Biwako. You could combine this with a trip a bit further east along the Tokaido line from Otsu to Hikone, which is home to Hikone Castle, one of Japan's four famous castles, but is not so touristy and hectic as the others. It overlooks Biwako too and is quite pleasant.

Edited by railsquid

Not sure if you'd call the following must do's, but I'll drop a few in also:-

Along the Otsu Line (as already mentioned) has many biggish temple like Ishiyamadera, Miidera, Omi-Jingu Shrine, Hiyoshi Taisha, and even the cable car (with great views) up to Enryakuji from Sakamoto.  Cruise ships from Ostu, Hikone and Nagahama, (will get to those later).

Already mentioned Hikone Castle, to view the castle  etc.

And Nagahama has a small rail museum for the local area.  And a ferry to the Chikubu Island.

https://www.biwako-visitors.jp/spot/detail/1312

http://kitabiwako.jp/tetsudou/

It is probably two days worth of stuff to do.

Other railway related sights would be Kibune/Kurama area.  Temple and some hiking, and an excuse to use the mountainous railway named Eizen Railway.

Sagano Railway near Arashiyama is a small trip, but well worth the ride.  Doing the main 4 Arashiyama sights ie monkey park, bridge, temple and Bamboo Grove, have lunch then railway out to Kameoka, then getting the river boats back to Arashiyama is a full day.

https://www.japan-guide.com/e/e3912.html

https://www.sagano-kanko.co.jp/en/

Don't miss the Randen for a good ride around West Kyoto.  A few sights to see along the way.

http://randen.keifuku.co.jp/en/index.html

Edited by katoftw

Not sure, if mentioned before.. but i have two more tips:

- Day trip to Himeji, there is the great white castel (national treasure, also Unesco heritage i think), you can take the Shinkansen from Kyoto to Osaka and change there and catch for example the 500 series "Evangelion" or the 700 series "Railstar". You won't find these on the route to Tokyo. Or you go on a through service with the Hikaries or Kodamas.

- Kyoto station has a nice roof terrace from which you can overlook the station and tracks around. It also provides a good view over the city up until the mountains. Plus it is free and (i think) always open.

Well we are now back home after our trip to Japan. We had a great time and it was so good to catch up with our son Luke who was our guide for most of the time. The one most striking feature of our time in Japan was how respectful the Japanese people are and how there appears to be generally a lack of crime and hardly any graffiti. A truly lovely place to visit.

We visited many buildings, temples and castles of interest and took in the sites of the cities as well as traveling by train and visiting locations of railway interest. I have been putting the railway related photos on my Flickr site, there are many more pictures which I will be adding over the coming days as time permits, below is a link to my Japan album,   I hope you find it of interest.

Thanks again to all the replies.   

https://www.flickr.com/photos/45603744@N06/albums/72157689918544905

Edited by bubbles2
  • Like 2