Interesting German HO Tram Layout

bill937ca

I agree that twisty winding street layouts are much more fun! One of the reasons I like tram layouts is from seeing the really complicated track layouts that real city tram systems have. I've probably shown this before but this is a tram layout I'm toying with, using some bits of unitram and some other types of track. The lines in each corner would go off to other boards where there will be return loops or maybe a depot. Building work is currently paused but I hope to restart when I get my spare room back!large.IMG_4564.PNG.b7742dc55bace768094dd477a289c641.PNG

• Like 3
On 10/30/2017 at 12:51 AM, bill937ca said:

So no reversing loops because each block is isolated from the others and each block has a separate feeder (with on/off control)?

Actually I think there are two. At the central square, on the left and the right there are single track spurs, the left one comes from around the back of the tram depot. The one on the right splits into two and loops back.

Electrically they are quite simple. What you need is two power suppplies: Clockwise and Anti-clockwise. When a tram is on the loop you switch from one power supply to the other. You just need to make sure you get the polarity is correct.

On 11/4/2017 at 1:08 AM, bill937ca said:

I'm amazed he goes across the Channel for a train show. I find usually these things are kind of local.

Ferro train turned at Alexandra Palace this year. About three years ago the U.K. based Austrian Railway Group were at the Vienna show.

Every year loads of people come across for Expo NG as well as Chatham...

I think I have worked out the full track plan. At first I got what’s in picture 1

But that wasn’t covering two mysterious return loops that propped up in the footage, having had another look and I think this is what missing. Just insert picture 1 in the middle of picture 2

(As an aside how do I insert pictures in the middle?)

E772C4FB-A54B-47F2-9E63-FE9396C449B0.jpeg

2F8771E1-8472-4404-B5F7-6FD36CAF8FCA.jpeg

• Like 1

Hello KVP. What is the size of the layout  please?

Thanks

Allen

On 10/29/2017 at 3:32 PM, kvp said:

unitram-20171029-1.png.44d2228c0b326f68d2baf60bbc431e6e.png

What is missing is the yard on the left and the single track line on the right, but adding a few single track straights to the middle and using standard unitrack to branch off would allow those to be added. The basic layout however is there on the image above. It's completly polarity correct and even a single controller would allow direction correct operation on all tracks on both loops.

4 hours ago, AllenZ said:

Hello KVP. What is the size of the layout  please?

About the same as two unitram V50 starter sets side by side, so 1256 x 620 mm.

great Thanks. I'm using the V60's for N. American but same thing basically.  Finally got 1 set up as my tram arrived today I'm going to post a video and possibly some photos.

PS:  I was in Budapest in 2008 and 2009  Loved it.

Allen

• Like 1

I finally got around to setting up a test oval using 1 of my 2 V60 sets.  Waiting for other components coming from Japan to finish my layout.  Here' a link to my YouTube video.

Allen

• Like 1
On 10/29/2017 at 3:32 PM, kvp said:

unitram-20171029-1.png.44d2228c0b326f68d2baf60bbc431e6e.png

What is missing is the yard on the left and the single track line on the right, but adding a few single track straights to the middle and using standard unitrack to branch off would allow those to be added. The basic layout however is there on the image above. It's completly polarity correct and even a single controller would allow direction correct operation on all tracks on both loops.

Concerning KVP's post of this layout.  I am trying to duplicate it and make it portable. I like it because it's long (50") and narrow(20").  However is studying the plan I see there's reversing loops.  I have 2 power pacs and was going to control the inner and outer loops separately.

How would I wire this?  I know I'm going to need insulating rail joiners.  It's been years since I wired model railroad layouts.

Thanks 

On 12/11/2018 at 4:04 PM, AllenZ said:

Concerning KVP's post of this layout.  I am trying to duplicate it and make it portable. I like it because it's long (50") and narrow(20").  However is studying the plan I see there's reversing loops.  I have 2 power pacs and was going to control the inner and outer loops separately.

How would I wire this?  I know I'm going to need insulating rail joiners.  It's been years since I wired model railroad layouts.

Actually if you trace the loops they are not reversing loops, but cross overs from the outer to the inner and back while keeping the running directions right. This allows the whole setup to be run from one controller short free. Any tram going into the middle routes will end up on the other loop facing the right running direction.

If you want to use two controllers, one for the outer and one for the inner loop, you just have to isolate all 4 rails at both of the middle crossovers with isolating joiners. Then you can direction match the two controllers to cross over these isolators. Imho the lack of real reversing loops make this setup really nice and easy to use.

Okay Thanks.  Wish I could play with DCC though.  2 of my USA Peter Witt cars came with it.  Using 1 controller, how would I run 2 trams?  Make a block system?  Also would be nice to have the trams automatically stop and restart at the stations.

I understand Tommytec has that options with sensors. 😉

Allen

Folks, 

On the German layout, I noticed on one of the tracks of the car shed, a green and cream Melbourne car, probably a white metal kit of an SW 7 or 8.

Regards, 

Bill, 

Melbourne.

Nice video Allenz! Thanks for sharing!

Now to get some buildings for that layout!  🙂 The centram is one of the best trams built, comes pre-installed with working head and tail and interior lights are superb value!

Hi all.

I want to thank everyone here for the tremendous help in getting me started.  The video/photo above was my first try wth the Kato Unitram track.  It was 19" x 5ft.

I finally had time to do some work on my final layout design for the Unitram track. My first one (photo above) was nice but still a double loop oval.  I liked this design much better. This layout was 3' by 5' so I went and got 1/2" pink insulation board. It overhangs the shelf 6" on each side. I kept it at 6' and that gave me a little room for a small tram yard.

All that's left now is landscaping and buildings.

The open areas were filled with foam board from Hobby Lobby and covered with a grey sticky shelf liner from Amazon. Saved me having to pain outside in freezing weather.

There’s a short 2 min video tour on the Kato Unitrack Facebook Page.  (https://www.facebook.com/allen.zagel/videos/10156926417084318/ )

20190222_120933 Sm.jpg

• Like 5
On 12/16/2018 at 5:07 AM, AllenZ said:

Okay Thanks.  Wish I could play with DCC though.  

Why can't you?  While not easy you should be able to put decoders in your trams.  NGDCC sells one made for the KATO Portram / Centram.

First of all is the cost right now.  Second yes for the Centram  but I have 3 other Japanese trams that supposedly won't fit.  My 3 Bachmann Peter Witts came with DCC.

why I had planned to do is set the outer loop for DCC and the inner loop DC.  right now I want to get scenery finished and make sure everything is running good.  then I'll look at this JMIR or whatever that is

Thanks

Allen.

I'd be interested in what trams you have.  Just for me, educationally, to check to see what would be a good way to attack the DCC question on them.  (Not trying to convince you otherwise).  I have one tram (Portram) that I will eventually convert but am interested in eventually acquiring more trams and so am educating myself.

The Kato portray is the fiddliest train I’ve ever pulled apart. The ngdcc does go in as one unit to replace the Kato power control board (portray uses lower voltage motors) but requires pulling it all apart. Not for a beginner for sure.

jeff

@chadbag   Sorry for the late reply.  Been horribly busy.  Anyway here's the  list of my trams.

My Bachmann Peter Witts came with DCC.  The Sentram can have DCC installed but would cost me $100usd +/-.  As I understand from a few sources, the other trams ar too small to install the module.  Maybe my latest tram being a 3 car articulated tram possible could have it installed.

If I did decide to go DCC, with my 2 separate loops, I'd do the outer loop DCC and leave the inner loop DC.  Seems to me to be a waste of money though.

I put it into a PDF file for you.

Allen

My Trams.pdf

1 hour ago, AllenZ said:

@chadbag   Sorry for the late reply.  Been horribly busy.  Anyway here's the  list of my trams.

My Bachmann Peter Witts came with DCC.  The Sentram can have DCC installed but would cost me $100usd +/-.  As I understand from a few sources, the other trams ar too small to install the module.  Maybe my latest tram being a 3 car articulated tram possible could have it installed.

If I did decide to go DCC, with my 2 separate loops, I'd do the outer loop DCC and leave the inner loop DC.  Seems to me to be a waste of money though.

I put it into a PDF file for you.

Allen

My Trams.pdf

The Centram can be done for about $40 and some hard work using:  http://www.snjpn.com/ngdcc/de28/de28TLRKj.htm

I have not (yet) done this.

I don't see why the Tomytec ones you have couldn't be converted with a hardwired decoder. I don't have any of them but you should be able to put a small wired decoder in any of those.

Takahama Trainwatcher
On ‎12‎/‎13‎/‎2018 at 4:20 AM, kvp said:

Actually if you trace the loops they are not reversing loops, but cross overs from the outer to the inner and back while keeping the running directions right. This allows the whole setup to be run from one controller short free. Any tram going into the middle routes will end up on the other loop facing the right running direction.

If you want to use two controllers, one for the outer and one for the inner loop, you just have to isolate all 4 rails at both of the middle crossovers with isolating joiners. Then you can direction match the two controllers to cross over these isolators. Imho the lack of real reversing loops make this setup really nice and easy to use.

Hey KVP. You've been very quiet on the forum. Are you okay? I just realised yesterday I hadn't seen any of your detailed responses for quite some time.

I like the layout AllenZ has put on here! Very nice and uses the Kato track nicely! The only thing that I would change would be to make it allow for direction changes by adding two terminus loops as are common on the continent...

Hmmmm.... 😉

• Like 1