SS Buenos Aries Maru Builders model

My school has been doing some extensive renovations recently, and this was found while tearing down old classrooms and the mess hall.  Its a builders model of the Japanese steam ship Buenos Aires Maru from 1928!  It apparently was confiscated from OSK lines' San Francisco office during WW2, and has since somehow found its was to my school.  The president wants to get rid of the model, as it is almost 10 feet long and there really isnt space for it (the display case is actually too big to get out the door without disassembly).  One thought is to see if the Tokyo maritime Academy is interested in it, does anyone have any ideas?

59eb0e05ac4f4_SSBAMaru.thumb.jpg.9fd9a7e5fb354163a07635092d2244a4.jpg

20170908_115911.thumb.jpg.10b193b099315f12b8444dd1e6da90cb.jpg

20170908_120249.thumb.jpg.77f055d9212ebe63b23c19aa2f24ac5b.jpg

• Like 4
Das Steinkopf

Maybe try contacting the nearest Japanese Consulate and see if they can help, most embassies have a cultural attache and the consulate should be able to arrange contact with them as they would be the best person to speak to, given it's history it would be nice to see it find a new home especially when you consider how old it is. 

• Like 2
13 minutes ago, Das Steinkopf said:

Maybe try contacting the nearest Japanese Consulate and see if they can help, most embassies have a cultural attache and the consulate should be able to arrange contact with them as they would be the best person to speak to, given it's history it would be nice to see it find a new home especially when you consider how old it is. 

That's a great idea, thanks!  The west coast one is actually only a few miles away in San Francisco! 

That ship is beautiful. I sincerely hope you can find a good home for it. Please let us know what happens!

All the best,

Mark.