Which Turbotrain to buy?

Kiha66

Which Turbotrain?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. I need everyone's help!  I'm reeeeally tempted to get this set, but I dont know which version to buy!  The original silver UA/DOT is my favorite, but I'd like to have a longer train than just 3 cars.  Currently I'm leaning towards the early amtrak with the bow wave, but a 9 car via set is really tempting too....  Whats everyone's favorite?

• New Haven/DOT (3 cars)
    • Penn Central (3 cars)
    • Amtrak early (5 cars)
    • Amtrak late (5 cars)
    • CN (7 cars)
    • VIA (9 cars)

While I'm not a huge fan of the all white CN, the full VIA snake looks rather spiffy indeed!  Now if only they had nose couplers like the full size units and could be lashed together into a 18 car train.  I'm sure my landlord will understand if I cant pay rent for a month or two! :grin

• Like 2

For me it's between the 2 Amtrak and kinda leaning towards the early livery.  But lately I've been into longer trains and the VIA does look nice too.  

Thanks Junior, that's my thinking as well.  The old Amtrak livery also was used on the round the country tour back in the early 1970's, so it technically fits in on any north american layout setting.  And while I suppose the 5 car set will better fit on a tabletop layout, the image of a long train snaking its way around the big club and show layouts is very tempting.  Of course, there's always buying the add on set for CN and repainting it to match whichever version I end up deciding on.

Judging by the results, with this being a Japanese railway forum its no wonder VIA is winning. Or should I say Dr. VIA.......the resemblance is uncanny ;)

• Like 1

I'm probably the only guy who will vote for the Penn Central due to my strange affection for the railroad that was a result of one of the worst mergers in history. Though I do like the CN even if it does look like Soo Line livery.

Edited by nah00
  • Haha 1
5 hours ago, keiichi77 said:

Judging by the results, with this being a Japanese railway forum its no wonder VIA is winning. Or should I say Dr. VIA.......the resemblance is uncanny ;)

I thought I was zeroing in on early Amtrak, but the Dr. Yellow argument is tempting...

26 minutes ago, IST said:

I like Penn Central and early Amtrak versions the most. Maybe you should by not one, but 2 sets... :grin

Lead me not into temptation.... :grin

I think the CN variant was in service for the longest time, but the late Amtrak paint is the nicest.

Btw. did you know that there was a similar train, the DB VT10.501 Senator built in 1953?  It was a bit underpowered and rode like a freight train, which seems to be the result of using single axle suspension on conventional sectional rails.

Interesting, I hadn't heard of this train before!  It also reminds me of the VT 11.5 class 602 that were modified to be gas turbine powered. 

The early Amtrak scheme was on the train that demonstrated on the Santa Fe in the west and I could stretch the truth a bit and say Amtrak put it into service in Texas. It would be less of a stretch than a pair of DD51s rolling through with the Hokutosei.