Couplers for Tomix trains

ronin

I need help (in many ways, but for now we'll focus on couplers).  I have a number of Tomix trains I'd like to convert to smaller, more realistic looking couplers.  What are my options and how do I know what I can put on which train?  I have heard of the TN couplers by Tomix, but it seems there are multiple variants of that and it is not clear to me how I choose the right one for a certain car.  Also, are there any other, non Tomix options and, if so, are they any better?

Thanks,

Eric

When it comes to TN couplers (smaller, more realistic couplers than the standard Rapido ones) there's generally 2 types based on real couplers in use in Japan:

Knuckle couplers which are usually found on locomotives, freight cars and single passenger cars and automatic Scharfenberg type couplers which are in use on Multiple Units as well as some passenger cars designed to form a permanent consist such as the E26/Cassiopeia.

Usually there is a table on the back of the trains manual that looks like this:

optionaltable.thumb.jpg.f340fa75ccc0e7a28baeee14a1c8d2ab.jpg

In this case the lowest line of the table (with the "TN" in it) shows the part number of the couplers needed for this train/car, in this case "0337" for a 6 pack or "JC6326" for single ones.

If it isn't in the manual or the manual is missing you can also search Hobby Search or Tomix' Online Stock List for your model, on it's detail page you can find the same table/part listings.

As for other companies, Kato also has their own line of TN couplers (both the knuckle and the Scharfenberg style), but they won't fit on a Tomix vehicle without modifications as far as I know.

Edited by Gryphr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Also both TN types are available in two colors (black and gray) and as a body mounted close coupler and as a bogie mounted variant for T ended rapido couplers. This allows conversion of older cars and cars from different manufacturers. Tomytec train collection and many Microace cars could also use one or the other.

ps: if all else fails, you could look at a 1:1 prototype photo for the right coupler

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sorry for the delay and thanks for the responses.

The train sets I am currently looking at changing are the following:

92713 JR 113 1500

Instructions say 0334 which is apparently discontinued and replaced by 0336, but does anyone know if this is correct?

92097 JR 103

Same as the 113.

92708 JR LTD Express 183/485

Instructions say 0333 which is apparently discontinued and has not been replaced.

I also have a Micro Ace set A-7683 Keisei 3300

Not sure what works on this as the instruction sheet doesn't have much info on it.

Thanks again for the help!

Eric

MA have the coupler and linterior lighting listed where the consist picture is.  For set A7683 it is F0004 coupler, and the Tomix version is 0375.

Your 0333 to 0336 info seems correct.

A little bit of snooping brings up JC6323 as the coupler for 183/485 set.  But I neither have experience or the model to comfirm though.

• Thanks 1

0336 for black Shibata couplers, 0337 for grey Shibata couplers.

Try the 0336 for the 92708 JR LTD Express 183/485, and I would recommend going with Tomix TN couplers for the Micro Ace set. Tomix couplers provide a much tighter and realistic coupling. They are also more durable. Almost all my Micro Ace fleet is equipped with Tomix couplers.

• Thanks 1

I'm mainly using 0336 for black ones and 0337 for gray ones too... works pretty well, just take note that the bottom of the carriage should have 4 plugs to hold the TN coupler in place...

Another one is the JC25, which I often use for connecting cab cars. Although Tomix says they are actually made for 373 series, they look pretty nice as cabin car connectors and I used them in quite a lot of other models with connecting cabin cars like Kiha-75 and such...

• Thanks 1

As MicroAce couplers suck big time, I second going for Tomix TN couplers for MicroAce trains. Practically all MicroAce trains can be fitted with TN couplers, and doing so also makes it possible to couple your Tomix and MicroAce rolling stock together.

Edited by Densha
  • Thanks 1

Thanks guys.  Again, to clarify when you say TN couplers for Micro Ace trains, could I use 0336 or some other part number?  0375 appears to be discontinued.

Thanks again,

Eric

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/0375.html

Doesn't look discontinued to me.

Greenmax, Tomix and MicroAce pretty much share components like motor, bogies and couples.  So yeah they are interchangeable.

MicroAce couples tend to keeps the distance between cars the same as the rapido distance.  Tomix however tend to be slightly shorter and decrease the distance between cars.  Hence looking more real in life.

Edited by katoftw
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, katoftw said:

Greenmax, Tomix and MicroAce pretty much share components like motor, bogies and couples.

What makes you think that? The only compatibility I'm aware of are the MicroAce body-mounted lugs suitable for Tomix couplers.

4 hours ago, ronin said:

Thanks guys.  Again, to clarify when you say TN couplers for Micro Ace trains, could I use 0336 or some other part number?  0375 appears to be discontinued.

Japanese trains use two types of couplers, knuckle couplers and Shibata couplers

Tomix provide basically four types of TN couplers: black Shibata couplers (0336), grey Shibata couplers (0337), black knuckle couplers (0374), grey knuckle couplers (0375). The color normally matches that of the underbody and of the couplers already installed on the model, you just need to look at your model.

Your Keisei 3300 uses grey knuckle couplers (0375).  The  113, 103, and 183/485 black Shibata couplers (0336).

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
14 hours ago, railsquid said:

What makes you think that? The only compatibility I'm aware of are the MicroAce body-mounted lugs suitable for Tomix couplers.

Actually I should have used the term compatibility (as you say) instead of components.

While those companies do probably share components, it is a too bold statement to make without any real solid proof.

And yes couplers have cross fitment as you pointed out. I'll add also interior lighting and recently the new Greenmax coreless motor units use the same bogie fitting system as Tomytec motor units.

Edited by katoftw
On 10/21/2017 at 11:45 PM, katoftw said:

http://www.tomytec.co.jp/tomix/products/n/0375.html

Doesn't look discontinued to me.

Greenmax, Tomix and MicroAce pretty much share components like motor, bogies and couples.  So yeah they are interchangeable.

MicroAce couples tend to keeps the distance between cars the same as the rapido distance.  Tomix however tend to be slightly shorter and decrease the distance between cars.  Hence looking more real in life.

When I looked it up on Amiami they showed as Out of Stock which I thought meant they were old.

On 10/22/2017 at 4:25 AM, disturbman said:

Japanese trains use two types of couplers, knuckle couplers and Shibata couplers

Tomix provide basically four types of TN couplers: black Shibata couplers (0336), grey Shibata couplers (0337), black knuckle couplers (0374), grey knuckle couplers (0375). The color normally matches that of the underbody and of the couplers already installed on the model, you just need to look at your model.

Your Keisei 3300 uses grey knuckle couplers (0375).  The  113, 103, and 183/485 black Shibata couplers (0336).

This is perfect.  Very detailed and exactly what I needed.  Sorry for the hand holding, but I saw multiple TN variants out there and it wasn't clear to me which one worked on what.  Me having older sets probably didn't help matters either.

Thanks again!

Eric

Hello,

For 92713, 115 Yoko, is it fitted with Arnold couplers that sit in pockets with black metal clip on underside of pocket?

If so, you can use 0381 TN Coupler.  You must carefully remove the metal clip with tweezers.  Remove the spring ... before if flies out across the room.  Remove the Arnold coupler.  Insert the spring.  Insert the TN coupler after assembling the 2 parts.  Click the metal clip back into position.

Replacement springs = JC11

Replacement cover clip = JC16

I would recommend 1 pack of each for spares.   Then buy as many 0381 as you need to do all your trains ... this is the most economical way of replacing couplers ... but it is not as realistic as the ones that are independent of the bogie.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Ochanomizu said:

If so, you can use 0381 TN Coupler.

Those bogie mounted TN's are great, but they are not kinematic types, so while they are really cheap and do bring the cars closer together than the rapidos, they are not as good as the body mounted kinematic TN-s. (they work pretty much like the older Kato bogie mounted shibata couplers) I mostly use them on some Tomytec models where there is no option to add body mounted couplers or i would like to keep the R140 curve and turnout running capability of the sets.