JR firms offer cross-country train tour featuring a ride on the resurrected Cassiopeia

Dunno how much truth is in it.  And also the details seem vague, but thought you might wanna know.

The seven Japan Railways Group companies have announced that they will offer a special across-Japan sightseeing tour plan using 24 select trains, including the Cassiopeia overnight limited express, whose regular operations ended in March last year.

https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/2017/10/18/national/jr-firms-run-joint-across-japan-luxury-train-tour-starting-off-resurrected-cassiopeia-carriages/#.Wehz_NR94sZ

Edited by katoftw

The JR Group said train fans will be surprised to see a freight locomotive head the luxury sleeper train, which was operated chiefly by East Japan Railway Co. and Hokkaido Railway Co. when it was in regular service.

This sentence made me laugh.  Cos it has never been pulled by a freight loco before.  So surprising...

13 hours ago, katoftw said:

The JR Group said train fans will be surprised to see a freight locomotive head the luxury sleeper train, which was operated chiefly by East Japan Railway Co. and Hokkaido Railway Co. when it was in regular service.

This sentence made me laugh.  Cos it has never been pulled by a freight loco before.  So surprising...

Hah, sarcasm really doesn't come out in text too well :)

I hardly think railfans would be surprised, what else are they going to pull it with these days?

Apart from the Cassiopeia I reckon I could do the same thing quite a bit cheaper myself using a JR Pass.