Strange ticket gates in stations!

JR 500系

Now this is something strange:

Where would you need a specific ticket gate just for a book shop? Isn't the book store like any other book store?

Here's more:

Strange enough, it seems to only happen in JR West stations?

Share more strange ticket gates if you encounter any~

• Like 1
1 hour ago, JR 500系 said:

Now this is something strange:

Where would you need a specific ticket gate just for a book shop? Isn't the book store like any other book store?

Looks like it's immediately adjacent to the station, but outside the controlled ticket area. Easy way to increase footfall I guess.

There are lots of JR East stations with a pair of ticket gates which take you direclty into the adjacent shopping facility, usually a JR-owned Lumine.

Back when the Toyoko Line ran elevated into Yokohama Station, you could access the "up" platform directly from a small entrance shoehorned between clothing shops on the second floor of the Station Building- Yokohama Station never actually has had a traditional station head house since the old East side building was demolished in the 1970's. Now even the station building (Cial) has been demolished and a new one is being built in its place.  

Wait wait, it's not that you need a ticket to enter the shop... you need your ticket to exit the station!

The shop is perfectly accessible from outside the station, it's just that this entrance (call it a short-cut) is on a wall that is directly adjacent to the station concourse... or 'ticketed area'.

It's actually really nice to not have to exit the shop to get to the platforms.

It's the same in Osaka. I think it's Noda Station on the Osaka Loop Line.

Cool! I was wondering the same thing as to why one would need to be in the ticketed area to enter the shop... and why the shop would turn itself away from business from the public outside... I just couldn't see the normal entrance that one would enter the shop...

It makes sense now to have that short-cut to the ticketed area... One can easily access the trains from outside, and it also deters would-be free-loaders from entering the shop and exiting to the ticketed area.... Then one question arises, would one holding a ticket be able to access the shop and then exit back out to the ticketed area? I was thinking a great way to spend sometime while waiting for the next transfer train in the shop, especially a book shop...

No problem with a commuter pass, or some kind of day ticket compatible with the ticket gate. Normal Suica etc. - no chance, except in the very rare circumstance of there being an out-of-ticket-gate transfer which would give you a certain amount of time to reenter the system.

I see 3 use cases here:

-someone getting off a train and exits the station through the bookshop

-someone going to get on a train and enters the station through the bookshop

-someone having a pass and using the bookshop as a waiting area (aka. as free library) :-)