Number of Motor cars Required

Noskipallwd

Newbie question here, did some searching on this topic but wanted to be sure before I get started. I purchased a Kato N scale E5(Hayabusa), the 3 car set and the 4 car add-on. Are 2 motor cars required for what would be either 6 or 7 cars? I've been researching prototypical operation, but there is a lot to learn. I would rather not buy a second decoder if I don't have to.

Cheers,

Shawn

Edited by Noskipallwd

The basic sets usually come with consist information and it has the required extension set numbers for each variant. Usually Kato sets are ok with one motor car and only some Tomix sets use (and need) two motor cars. On the other hand, this info is true if your gradients are at or below 2%.

Thanks for the replies. I got home from work this morning and discovered that only one motor car actually contained a motor! I had just received the package before I Ieft. My Japanese is a little rusty, so the manual didn't help.

Cheers,

Shawn

Having less motor cars than the prototype is normal for model trains. For example a series 0 shinkansen is all motor cars in the prototype, but the model doesn't need that many due to having one huge motor in the middle of the motor car, instead of 4 tiny ones in the bogies. Multiple unit model locomotives with only one having an actual motor is also common. Some multiple units hide the motor in a middle car that is actually a trailer on the prototype. The real motor cars are usually indicated with an (M) on the japanese consist diagrams.

If you go up in size (scale) and start having proportionally scaled down motors (like motor bogies) then having the same amout of motor cars than on the prototype starts to be more common.

ps: The first mainline high voltage single phase AC locomotives had a single huge motor in the middle of the frame and it drove the 4 or 6 axles through a transmission. Model motors are very much like that, so having one or two motor cars is usually enough.

• Like 1

Thanks gentlemen, I ran the e5 on dc and it ran fine. Installed the decoders, (which was fairly easy), everything checked out fine. What an amazing little train, very happy with it.

Cheers,

Shawn

• Like 1

Glad to hear it worked out!  Does the E5 take drop in decoders, or do you have to wire them in?  I wired in a decoder to kato's 0 series and even with one motor it can easily make it up 4% grades with out problem, even on curves. 

4 hours ago, Kiha66 said:

Glad to hear it worked out!  Does the E5 take drop in decoders, or do you have to wire them in?  I wired in a decoder to kato's 0 series and even with one motor it can easily make it up 4% grades with out problem, even on curves. 

I installed a Kato EM13 in the motor car, which is a drop in type. Just a small 2 sided pcb. It would be near impossible to solder it in. The connections seem to be solid, judging by the performance of the train on a temporary floor layout. The cab cars will take a Kato FL12, which controls the head and tail lights.

Cheers,

Shawn

• Thanks 1