Risers, custom vs factory

SubwayHypes

Hey guys, I'm finding more and more on my new layout build that I would like to avoid using the factory Kato risers/couplers.   For one, they only offer them to elevate a double track at most, and several areas of my layout need to elevate two double tracks at once.   Also, there are also areas I need to have trains run underneath the risers (crossing under, not parallel), and the factory risers don't have space for that unless I use bridges.

I have used the woodland scenic risers in the past with pretty good success, plus they are easily cuttable so that I can remove sections for small tunnels to allow trains to pass underneath.

I want to have the most minimum riser possible, maybe 2.5-3' max instead of 4' on my last layout.  I am most concerned with shortening to length of the elevation.

What do you guys think about these woodland scenic risers, are there alternative options that I'm not finding?

Also, I really like the custom wood risers shown in the layout pictures below as well.  I would much prefer that over the factory and even woodland scenic.

trackriser2%.jpg

layoutrisers.png

Aren't the woodland scenic riser just poly-something product that can be cut.  It you need roads and rivers to go underneth.  Just cut it with a knife.

I've got pieces of wood in various places on my layout.  Does the job fine and you can cut them to the correct size.

A little bit of painting and they come up very nicely looking like massive concrete - see the two on either side of the river on the high speed line:

l61.jpg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

I made custom wooden supports for one club member's layout that had the profile of the kato Y piers. Worked well and I made the bottoms long so he could just cut them off where needed. Then made him footings that were the same profile as the bottom of the pier, just a few mm bigger all around. He would glue these onto the bottom and the drill a couple holes thru them and long pins into the foam of his base to anchor them. Then a strip of double stick foam tape to attach the track and easily removable then.

for the new jrm layout they are going to be just rectangles like on vjm above as these will be attached to the layout and do the 3/16" ply sub bed the viaduct will attach to. We want it uber solid this time around as this is portable and breaks into modules. We may use some kato piers in between like vjm as well.

jeff