Most difficult layout set-up anywhere

velotrain

1.  Notice he drops the power cord on the ground and then plugs it in - if the grass is wet, seems like a good way to get electrocuted.

2. He actually had to think all this through and build it.  Seems overkill for it not even being a proper layout.  As katoftw said, could you just put a tarp over it, if even that.  Only the electrical components really need protecting, could be in a separate box.

3.  Do you think he has heard of N scale?!?!

I've helped design and build a lot of layouts with my own, the club and club members and folks do get their own designs and ideas in their heads! If it works for him and he is happy then cool! Certainly is different. Maybe he is a crane operator by profession! 

Outside stuff I just worry about moisture in the long run, but a lot of that comes from growing up on a ship where moisture and salt are always a thought outside!

jeff

I'm impressed by the amount of work that went into this but I get a little irked taking a ten car train out of the case and putting it on the rails sometimes so I can't see myself having to use a pulley to get to my layout. I would also worry about rust inside the point motors.