Verified rolling stock for the Yamanote Freight Line

SubwayHypes

Hey guys, I want to make sure my new layout is 100% prototypically correct.   It is based on Shibuya station and features the Yamanote Line as well as the Saikyo/Yamanote Freight line.   I only want livery that runs between Ebisu to Shinjuku, with the layout year being based in 2006ish (ten years ago so I can use the 205s and the 231s)

Yamanote Line

205 series until 2006ish?, 231 series, several special edition releases from Kato (penguin, etc)

Saikyo Line

205 series (basic set and Kato special edition set) up until 2015, 233 series 10 car set    (Afaik, the TWR 70-000 Rinkai line only runs to Osaki station and will never be seen on Shibuya tracks)

Shonan-Shinjuku Line e231-3000 15 car sets (Do they run 10 car sets with green car and without the 5 car add on)

211 series prior to 2011?  In what configuration?

Yamanote Freight Line

According to Google, it says "several express lines".   According the YFL thread on here from a few years back, you guys figured out 100% what the freight configurations were.   From what ive gathered, is that fuel tankers do NOT run on the yamanote freight line, only cargo. 

Narita Express 253 series until 2011?   Narita express 259 series

What other express lines run on this?   Does the Blue night train ever run on this line out of shinagawa/Tokyo? 

On 29/9/2017 at 11:08 PM, SubwayHypes said:

Hey guys, I want to make sure my new layout is 100% prototypically correct.   It is based on Shibuya station and features the Yamanote Line as well as the Saikyo/Yamanote Freight line.   I only want livery that runs between Ebisu to Shinjuku, with the layout year being based in 2006ish (ten years ago so I can use the 205s and the 231s)

Yamanote Line

205 series until 2006ish?, 231 series, several special edition releases from Kato (penguin, etc)

Saikyo Line

205 series (basic set and Kato special edition set) up until 2015, 233 series 10 car set    (Afaik, the TWR 70-000 Rinkai line only runs to Osaki station and will never be seen on Shibuya tracks)

Shonan-Shinjuku Line e231-3000 15 car sets (Do they run 10 car sets with green car and without the 5 car add on)

211 series prior to 2011?  In what configuration?

Yamanote Freight Line

According to Google, it says "several express lines".   According the YFL thread on here from a few years back, you guys figured out 100% what the freight configurations were.   From what ive gathered, is that fuel tankers do NOT run on the yamanote freight line, only cargo. 

Narita Express 253 series until 2011?   Narita express 259 series

What other express lines run on this?   Does the Blue night train ever run on this line out of shinagawa/Tokyo? 

I'm modelling Gotanda station, jus a bit  down the line, in the exact same period, so i might be of help. 

Rinkai Line trains actually run on Saikyo Line tracks as part of an inter-running service that takes them to Omiya station and beyond on the kwagoe line. 

Yamanote line 205 series EMUs were retired in 2005. The Shonan-Shinjuku rolling stock was standardized to E231-1000 series in 2004, while as before it was a mix of 115, 211, 215, E217 and E231 series transferred from Tokaido and Yokosuka line depots, all in a full 15 car set both north and southbound. 

Narita express trains were changed from 253 to E259 series in 2009.

Another express passing by shibuya is the Odoriko, composed by either a 185, 251 or E259 series trainset. Another express i've seen passing by is the 189 series Upgrade Azusa, but i'm not sure about what service it was doing. 

Freight trains are composed of Koki cars loaded with containers, hauled by either an EH500, an EF210 or an EF64. 

I have a rolling stock timeline somewhere, as soon as i get home ill' scan it. 

• Haha 1

You are the man!!!  Thanks so much for the run down.

Great news is that I had a gut feeling that the Odoriko 185 series ran this track and I got a nice set in stock!

Very interesting to hear that the e217 were used on the shonan shijuku, were these in the orange/green colorway or with the Blue Yokosuka line?

So the TVR 70-000 runs all the way to Omiya?  How often per day?   Damn, cant seem to find if this series has even been released. 

And just to verify, even though the 205 Yamanote was retired in 2005, they still ran the 205 series on the Saikyo line up to 2013 at least?  I remember being in Japan in 2013 when the first e233 Saikyos were being test run.  Have a video of one being tested at Shibuya station somewhere on some computer somewhere lol.

On 30/9/2017 at 9:07 AM, SubwayHypes said:

You are the man!!!  Thanks so much for the run down.

Great news is that I had a gut feeling that the Odoriko 185 series ran this track and I got a nice set in stock!

Very interesting to hear that the e217 were used on the shonan shijuku, were these in the orange/green colorway or with the Blue Yokosuka line?

So the TWR 70-000 runs all the way to Omiya?  How often per day?   Damn, cant seem to find if this series has even been released. 

-The E217trainsets operating the Shonan-Shinjuku line were transferred from the Yokosuka/Sobu Lines depots, so they kept the Sobu livery.

Shonan-liviered trains were introduced in 2006 when some units were transferred to tokaido line duties.

Yokohama-bound E217 at Shibuya station.

-Not just Omiya, but all the way up to Kwagoe. It's the standard operation, so evry Rinkai line trains runs the entire lenght of the Saikyo line and half of the Kwagoe line, just like a normal Saikyo line train (Saikyo line trains also travel the full lenght of the Rinkai Line up to Shin-Kiba terminus).

A model of the TWR 70-000 was realsed by MicroAce in 2009 and re-relased in 2014. I plan to get one.

http://www.1999.co.jp/eng/10080443

On 30/9/2017 at 9:10 AM, SubwayHypes said:

And just to verify, even though the 205 Yamanote was retired in 2005, they still ran the 205 series on the Saikyo line up to 2013 at least?  I remember being in Japan in 2013 when the first e233 Saikyos were being test run.  Have a video of one being tested at Shibuya station somewhere on some computer somewhere lol.

The Yamanote line 205s were replaced entirely by the E231-500s by 2005, meanwhile the Saikyo Line trains lived up until october 2016, when they were replaced by the E233-7000 series, introduced in June 2013.

Here is a little timeline made by me with icons from http://www.trainfrontview.net/en/index.htm

Osaki-_Shinjuku_rolling_stock_timeli9ne.

Osaki-Shinjuku rolling stock timeli9ne.TIF

Edited by Socimi
  • Like 6
  • Thanks 1

Wow you are the man!!

So cool to see the super view odoriko 251 as well.  Was this run as 10 car set?

Good to know I can run my e217 Yokosuka sobu as well!  

Guess I gotta find a twr 70-000, so weird, I practically lived on that line from Ebisu to Shibuya station almost daily and never seem to remember seeing the Rinkai line.  I would have definitely noticed a subway metro series looking train on JR tracks.  

Wow that time table is surely interesting and beautifully made, Socimi! Thanks for sharing!

But I thought the 215 series is still running on the Tokaido line?

Edited by JR 500系
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, SubwayHypes said:

Wow you are the man!!

So cool to see the super view odoriko 251 as well.  Was this run as 10 car set?

Good to know I can run my e217 Yokosuka sobu as well!  

Guess I gotta find a twr 70-000, so weird, I practically lived on that line from Ebisu to Shibuya station almost daily and never seem to remember seeing the Rinkai line.  I would have definitely noticed a subway metro series looking train on JR tracks.  

Yep, the Super Wiew Odoriko runs in 10-car sets.

2 hours ago, JR 500系 said:

Wow that time table is surely interesting and beautifully made, Socimi! Thanks for sharing!

But I thought the 215 series is still running on the Tokaido line?

The 215 series (as of today) is used on "Home Liner" services on the Tokaido Main Line such as  the Shonan Liner, the Ohayo Liner Shinjuku and the Home Liner Odawara.

Being a prototype small series (only 4 sets built, for a total of 40 veichles) it's used mostly as stop-gap stock for various rapid services; past operations (besides the Shonan-Shinjuku line interlude between 2001 and 2004) included the "Acty" on the Tokaido Line and occasional weekend rapid services such as the "Holiday Rapid Wiew Yamanashi" between 1992 and 2001.