Yamanote Line

Guest bill937ca

Guest bill937ca

Many of us have loop tracks on our layouts. There is a prototype in Tokyo if you run your trains on a loop.  The Yamanote line circles central Tokyo with a 28 station double track loop that connects with all major JR stations.  There is a variety of right of ways including elevated tracks. Although there are few 2 track segments, most of the line runs parallel to 4, 6 or 8 tracks where you will see private railway, JR local, JR express and Shinkansen trains close by. The Yamanote line like most Japanese train lines operates a self-contained entity so it is appropriate prototype for layouts that amount to little more than a loop and some storage tracks.

During the days  of Japan National Railways protected status as the national carrier, private railways were not allowed to penetrate beyond the outer fringe of the Yamanote line. Now that private railways operate trains in Tokyo's subway this has changed of course.  But that is why you find the terminals for Siebu, Odakyu, Keio, Tokyu, Tobu, Keisei and Keikyu all along the Yamanote line.

Both Kato and Tomix offer Series E231 trains for the Yamanote line.  Previous equipment was Series E205.

http://homepage3.nifty.com/canada/Urban/231-0~en.html

http://homepage3.nifty.com/canada/Urban/205-0~en.html

Departure songs are played by train crews at stations along the Yamanote line to orient passengers to where they are and speed loading.

CaptOblivious

Bill, that first video is brilliant!

kashirigi: HAHAHAHAHAHAHA that's too funny.

Here is a Yamanote line train.

38912507.jpg

The line is 34.5 km around. There are 29 stations and it takes from 61 to 65 minutes to go around the loop.

The trains are 11-cars long, about 154 capacity. However, in rush hours some segments of the line experience 250% of capacity. Doing the math shows about 4200 people in a full train. And they run every 3 minutes during rush hours. I thought it was every 2.5 minutes but the timetable book says 3 min.

alpineaustralia

Dick - are they always 11 cars long. Does that mean I need to by both Kato 10-261 (5 car set) and 10-262 (5 car add on set)? please tell that they run short lengths. My wife and bank manager will be eternally thankful

Dick - are they always 11 cars long. Does that mean I need to by both Kato 10-261 (5 car set) and 10-262 (5 car add on set)? please tell that they run short lengths. My wife and bank manager will be eternally thankful

Sorry, they are all 11-cars long.

CaptOblivious

In fact, the Kato Yamanote E231 models are being repackaged as a 4-car starter, plus one 4-car and one 3-car expansion sets...and I think the total price is just a bit more as a result.

I've got the original 5-car base. Now if only someone would buy me the 6-car expansion before they sell out... ;)

Martijn Meerts

Kato has released many sets that weren't of prototypical length in the past. They're getting better now, but as recent as their 500 series shinkansen they've been incorrect. While you can get a 16-part Kato 500 series shinkansen, the car setup isn't correct, and you'll need to adjust 2 cars by giving them the correct numbers.