Cornerstone Roof Details Project

bc6

I was at the train shop the other day and walked by a Cornerstone Roof Detail kit and decided to pick it up. I thought this kit would go great with the hotel that Im building although Im not a hyper detailer. I the package you get your typical arranged kit small pices on sprues that need to be cut off.

Included is a instruction sheet with exploded views of the vents stacks, etc.which are very helpful in assembly. For $10 you can beat the price of the kit. Its not particularly difficult to put together, there are quite a few vents and stacks some that require assembly and others that don't. Below are pics that I took of the vents that I put together, it makes a great one night project.

post-168-13569923125241_thumb.jpg

These are great details. i picked a couple of packs up at a local train show for $7 and was really impressed with what I got for the money! larger buildings in japan have loads of stuff on the roof and from most views of a layout you see the roofs much more than you usually do in the real world from the ground, so its an important detail! many are hidden behind rooftop signs.

another great rooftop addition is:

http://www.microstru.com/N-570.html

cheers,

jeff

These are great details. i picked a couple of packs up at a local train show for $7 and was really impressed with what I got for the money! larger buildings in japan have loads of stuff on the roof and from most views of a layout you see the roofs much more than you usually do in the real world from the ground, so its an important detail! many are hidden behind rooftop signs.

another great rooftop addition is:

http://www.microstru.com/N-570.html

cheers,

jeff

Hey jeff thanks for the reminder about the microstructures ductworks they are really nice details. I will be picking up some of those soon as possible.

Speaking of roof details, I'm working on a couple ideas for ways to make models of photovoltaic panels for somme roofs on our layout. I don't think it'll be too hard, as long as I can get the scale right.

Scott,

Check with aaron i think he made a standard BP cell drawings to print to scale for this exact purpose! he use to work for BP solar. just print and cover with some acetate to give a glossy glass top finish (or maybe some gloss coat spray) and then some thin styrene edging and done!

cheers

jeff

Hate to jump o the gravy train (lol) but thats a cool ideal. I never thought  of modelling solar cells, I have some silver mylar sheeting that with some chart tape backed on styrene could pass for solar cells.

Yeah, I was thinking of trying some sort of dark transparent blue tape over a silver surface, and then scratching through to the silver for the lines between the panel areas.