Still Trying!

Quinn

The idea of a (small) diorama with a rail isn’t working out. Here’s my C12 (number not attached yet) but to get any sense of mood the rail is set too far in the background. Have to admit, I’ve been going about it the wrong way.  I’m constrained by the cost of an acrylic lid – at 600mm x 450mm it’s the most expensive component apart from the loco.

It isn’t complete. I’ll tidy it up and paint a backdrop then I’m setting it aside.  Change the lights so the interiors are lit.   At least the buildings are Japanese but it still hybrid European.

Next then will be to try to attempt a rural Japanese village without any railway using photos I’ve collected up.  For showing trains I’ll put 1 – 1.5 metres of track on a board with some basic scenery that won’t obscure them.  Could be the start of a layout.

F2-606.jpg

F3-607.jpg

Fa-617asml.jpg

Edited by Quinn
  • Like 5

Actually, I quite like this one!  I think it might capture the feeling of small lines better, as the track is often hidden behind buildings, and rarely the front of a structure is facing the tracks.  There's so much detail, its almost like two different scenes. The front side gives the view a visitor would get driving through town, while viewing from the track side shows the hidden details you'd only get to see if you were riding a train along the back of the town.  Great work Quinn, thanks for sharing! 

7 minutes ago, Kiha66 said:

The front side gives the view a visitor would get driving through town, while viewing from the track side shows the hidden details you'd only get to see if you were riding a train along the back of the town.  

Precisely what I like about riding trains - at slower speeds.  Traveling by driving or riding a bus, all you see is boring interstates and gas stations, etc. 

Trains let you see that part of the landscape that isn't prettified up - backyards, etc.

I have no idea what one sees from a Shinkansen (distant vistas?) - I was on a TGV two decades ago and hated it.

Quinn,

nice work! I like the feel. Having the line hidden some is really an effect I like as it feels very real and the popping in and out of the scene can take away a lot of the loop of track going round and round feel to the viewer. Also makes the viewer notice the things in the way and not just stare at the train -- I see this at shows if you watch eyeballs, many get into the tennis match viewers watch the ball thing.

charles,

with the shinkansen lines being on a lot of elevated viaduct and berms you will get some interesting views of the scenery, but not up close like the regular trains due to the sound walls and such on the viaducts that can restrict looking done at a hard angle.

jeff