Hi from UK, Cornwall.

bubbles2

Hello, I am a life long railway enthusiast with a particular interest in UK west country railways. For the last 30 years I have been slowly building a 30x12 foot 4mm scale OO gauge layout based in Devon and Cornwall, I try to limit the period of my modeling to between the mid 1950s to 1985, a period of much transition.

My reason for joining this forum is an impending visit from the UK to Kyoto in Japan by my wife and myself to spend some time with our youngest son Luke who is  on a postdoctorial archaeology placement at university there.

I hope to learn of places of railway interest both model and real within a days reach of Kyoto that we may visit during our stay and discover something of the counties railways.

Here is a link to my flickr https://www.flickr.com/photos/45603744@N06/ which may show more about me than the words above can.

Regards

Geoff.

Hi Geoff,

Welcome to the forum! Regarding model trains shops around Kyoto, there is already a very useful link in this forum post. Though, I am not aware of any OO japanese trains, most of it is N scale and a bit of Z/HO scale. Regarding real life trains, there are several interesting points around Kyoto, such as the Sagano sightseeing train, or the Kyoto Railway museum.

Cheers!

Yavianice

Welcome Geoff,

you will love the train experience in japan. Lots and lots of prototype variety and easy to navigate. There is a lot of railway adventures for not rail experiences, destinations and tourist stuff to do from Kyoto, even in day trips in and out. I'm sure folks will come up with some ideas for you. 

you might start a thread over in the travel forum with any specific questions and look around there for some ideas as well.

http://www.jnsforum.com/community/forum/33-travel-tips-planning-memories/

cheers,

Jeff (almost a Geoff)

Thank you for your replies and welcomes.

Other than a souvenir or memento of our holiday I'm unlikely to start a collection of Japanese models but I would like to investigate the local model shops and any real locations of railway interest, so thanks Jeff for your suggestion of starting a thread on the travel forum, I will do that 

Geoff,

careful, Japanese model trains can be like pop corn! And Japanese hobby shops canhave quite a mind blowing variety of trains to offer up!

Jeff

Edited by cteno4