Kato Series 383 Derailing issue

serotta1972

I know there was a recent discussion on derailing issues with another Kato tilting train - one of the cars on my new Series 383 keep derailing, I did notice that the bogies were a bit tight and did not swivel freely - I removed the bogie and put it back on and it seem to remedy the situation.  I ran it again the other day and everything was find until I changed direction and it began to derail again.  Can someone please refer me to the thread discussing this issue or share what they did to remedy and rid off the derailing problem.  

Thank you for your help.

-Junior

Thank you Gryphr - I thought all the Kato tilting models would have the same tilting bogie design but the Series 383 actually has a different one.

I will take a closer look at the cars that are derailing and those that don't 
and see what the difference are between them

IMG_2579.thumb.JPG.f52b76fd9b1eae82c17daccc1f8112c0.JPGIMG_2576.thumb.JPG.388b240de4ecc5d200d83ce1e38314ea.JPGIMG_2577.thumb.JPG.892a6853d54233876116c5211d5017ad.JPG

Edited by serotta1972

I brought out the 383 and had a look at all the bogies and then had a running session.  None of them derailed in either directions - I'm thinking it was the track having some uneven joints and these particular tilting bogie design is sensitive to that. 

I found the problem on m Super Azusa by letting it go at moderate-low speed around the track and then watched wheels to see which bogie was the culprit. It's likely that if you look at the train on a curve you'll see that a wheel is off of the track and that's the offending one. In my case all I had to do bend the coupler up a bit and cu off the plastic nub that was pushing it down.

I think it's the strips though in this case, you can see how they are pushing up on the bogie and that's probably enough to pull the one of the wheels off of the track once it leans.