Travelling to Amanohashidate on a JR Pass

The Next Station Is...

The Next Station Is...

Hi everyone - I'd like to seek some advice!

My wife and I are travelling to Japan later this year, and I'd like to take a day trip out from Kyoto to Amanohashidate. We'll have Japan Rail Passes, so I'm aware that when travelling on the JR Limited Express Hashidate there is an extra charge when travelling over the stretch of line operated by the Kyoto Tango Railway.

What isn't clear is the protocol for paying this charge - does it need to be booked in advance at a midori-no-guchi or can you just pay the attendant on the train?

I'd be grateful for advice - or if someone can say from experience what works best! Thanks!

It may have changed since I did it, but i was able to book the seat to Amanohashidate and then pay the suppliment for the non-JR section onboard once the train entered the private railway direct to the conductor

• Like 1
12 hours ago, tsubasa119 said:

It may have changed since I did it, but i was able to book the seat to Amanohashidate and then pay the suppliment for the non-JR section onboard once the train entered the private railway direct to the conductor

This is how it worked when I rode the Tobu Spacia from Shinjuku to Kinugawa Onsen, though they do completely change the staff. I could book my seat for free at the midori-no-madoguchi. Then I simply got on the train and at Minami-Kurihashi the train staff changed from JR to Tobu. I then paid the fee to the Tobu conductor.

1 hour ago, Suica said:

This is how it worked when I rode the Tobu Spacia from Shinjuku to Kinugawa Onsen, though they do completely change the staff. I could book my seat for free at the midori-no-madoguchi. Then I simply got on the train and at Minami-Kurihashi the train staff changed from JR to Tobu. I then paid the fee to the Tobu conductor.

Thanks! Useful information for me to keep when I ride the Spacia the next time... Tobu World Square at Nikko is a great place to visit!

The Next Station Is...

Thanks very much for the responses! Really looking forward to visiting Amanohashidate, hope to get some good photos!

Sent from my G3121 using Tapatalk