please help a track newb and electronic amateur

ronin

Ok, here's my situation, I have a track layout, which I have set up multiple times and it worked, that does not work now.  I am hoping someone can give me some pointers on what to check or change.  Here's an image of my overall layout:

20170826_173917.jpg

Here is an image of the problem area (in the red box, only the outside loop from the crossover piece to the left Y piece I have no voltage):

Capture.JPG

Here's a close up of the crossover piece if it helps any:

20170826_173930.jpg

I have tried swapping the plugs in the back of the switches.  If I remove either the Y or the crossover piece and replace with a straight piece, the outside loop works as it should.

Let me know if you have any ideas or recommendations.  As I said, I have set this same layout up now 6~7 times at least and it has always worked (it is the A+B+D layout from Tomix so I am not doing anything new.

Thanks for the help,
Eric

Edited by ronin

I assume the power feeders are the little 2 pronged things that slide into the underside of the track rails to supply power.  If so, the way Tomix has it set up, I have 1 line out of the controller that splits into 2 female receptacles and then 2 power feeders (1 per receptacle) plug into each end of the split so I have 1 power feeder going to the outer circuit and 1 going to the inner circuit.  I don't think I specifically mentioned it, but the inner circuit works just fine.

I hope that answered the question.  If not, please let me know.

Eric

Just make sure both turnouts (Y pieces) are set to the same direction. (either straight or diverging) If this doesnt work check the right turnout (or have someone do it) for electrical problems as it should route power in the selected direction.

• Like 1

Here is a test you can do simply. Disconnect the track pieces at the left side of the piece with the feeder. Then run a powered car or engine counter-clockwise away from that disconnection around the loop. See how far it makes it around the loop. If it stops along the way, you have an electrical connectivity problem at that track joint.

Rich K.

• Like 1