BS NHK programme on the E001 Shiki Shima

Don't know if anyone else caught the show yesterday night on BS NHK. The show focused a lot on the level of luxury and the destinations of the train rather than the design etc.. but did look at the observation car, lounge and sleeping areas.

I am not really a fan of the trains looks. Why the train only has a door on the lounge car as if it was a hotel on wheels is beyond me. My view on watching the show is that despite a level of luxury not seen in most places, the combination of style and service seemed to lack any soul that you might find on other trains around the world.

Edited by Kamome
Davo Dentetsu
15 hours ago, Kamome said:

I am not really a fan of the trains looks. Why the train only has a door on the lounge car as if it was a hotel on wheels is beyond me.

Because that's literally what it is.  Don't understand the lack of soul comment either, because it's a very unique style of service to be fair.

Thanks for your reply. It's just my point of view. I just felt that despite the aim being to create a luxurious environment, it looked very functional and clinical. I am a greater fan of the Kyushu Seven Stars. While the exterior and converted DF200 also look god awful, the refinement that Eiji Mitooka's design creates inside is a lot more fitting to its surroundings.

One particular area that looked disappointing was the observation car allowing you to look through the cab at the passing scenery. A nice touch was the windows on the roof to allow a greater view. The problem was the drivers cab which was pure functional standard equipment and no refinement at all. I appreciate that this would be an extra extravagance but when your paying a huge amount of money to travel, why not have something in front of the driver that adds to the view instead a cab out of a Kiha 40 or something.

To be honest I have always been more impressed with the refinement on JR Kyushu than other JR areas. While exterior designs I like JR East fleet of shinkansens, the Kyushu bullets have much better interiors.

Edited by Kamome