AsiaNRail in Los Altos

Railtunes

AsiaNRail will have an N scale modular layout at the annual Train Days event at the Los Altos History Museum, Los Altos, California (San Francisco Peninsula area), on Saturday, September 16 and Sunday, September 17,  2017, 10 am to 4 pm both days. Layout setup will be late afternoon and evening on Friday, September 15. Besides our layout, there will also be an NTRAK layout and a new N scale European modular layout, as well as layouts and displays in larger scales.

Come join us - and bring your Asian trains to run. The AsiaNRail layout is a single track branch line style layout, but, since we're also associated with the NTRAK folks, who will be set up right beside us, you can run your Shinkansen and other mainline trains there. There is even a Japanese corner module in the NTRAK layout!

Also, for participants, we get home-cooked dinner Friday night and breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday, courtesy of the museum. How often do you get that at a train show!

So, come join us! If you plan to participate, please let me know so I can make a badge for you!

- Paul Ingraham, Coordinator, AsiaNRail

Edited by Railtunes
correct dates

Hey Paul!  I had a great time last year, I'd be happy to come help out.  I should be able to make the Friday to help with set up too.

-Sam

Great news, Sam! Love to have you with us again this year! I'll get you more details as Train Days approaches.

I'm off to Denver next week for the National Narrow Gauge convention. I'm going to put my Thai locomotive on display to add some color to the drab Rio Grande stuff that will no doubt dominate the model contest room.

Don't run into any navy ships on the way up here, sailor!

- Paul

• Like 1

Hey Paul im jealous! Best we get is donuts and hot dogs at the lions club show. Local train show sometimes has half frozen Costco donuts if you get too them fast enough!

wish I could be there, some year I'll make it out for the show.

cheers

jeff 

Hi Paul,

It looks like I will just be a spectator as I will have my 3 year old with me.  I exhausted my babysitter option this past weekend as I was away for work.  Sorry I won't be able to help out but will be coming over to enjoy all the festivities and trains of all sizes and especially the AsiaNrail modules and Ntrak set up.

-Junior

Hi, Junior,

Sorry you won't be able to actually run with us. And, of course, you also don't get the free dinner Friday and breakfast and lunch on Saturday and Sunday.

:sad1:Awww...... You will get to pay admission instead of getting in free, like the rest of us, but it should still be a great show.:notworthy: See you this weekend.

- Paul

I know, that hot lunch was delicious.  I'm more than happy to pay admission and support the museum and or the clubs who are exhibiting their layouts.  Last year, I gained a greater appreciation of the amount of work behind the scenes to put on a show. See you guys Saturday.

Man I miss CA  cuisine! Back east here we get fed sloppy joes, hot dogs and donuts at shows (but the effort is greatly appreciated and my homer side enjoys it)!

Jeff

Unfortunately I've come down with a high fever, so I probably won't be able to make it to the event this year.  Hope everybody has a great time, I look forward to the pictures!  

An Australian Train passing through a Filipino scene module "Banaue Rice Terraces" and a Chinese diesel locomotive made CRM on Paul's AsiaNrail setup.  And a narrow gauge steam loco that actually runs on coal.

IMG_2955.thumb.jpg.ba3748f1d34c5a948edbdcf678f01a1d.jpgIMG_2958.thumb.JPG.47f7892986611fcbbabe7ddd3fd4d713.JPGIMG_2968.thumb.jpeg.6bef8d79eb1abd7608f004d79add42b4.jpegIMG_2970.thumb.JPG.e590613dbc7f5b046d0547964dc9dadb.JPG

• Like 4

Hope you guys have had a great show and sorry to have missed this years event.  We are currently in western South Dakota camped next to old Burlington Northern ROW.  Got to a RR museum this morning and have train ride this afternoon.

• Like 1
nscalestation

AsiaNrail will be back again this year at the 2018 edition of Los Altos Train Days !

Paul is working on another clever layout design for the AsiaNrail layout and we are also planning to have Peninsula Ntrak join us with a small Ntrak layout.

I will be exhibiting a new module for the first time in this layout.  I am still adding the finishing touches to it and the preview photo below shows how it looks right now. 

Shoreline4.jpg.9636353bfc367bf4448efe8873774164.jpg

The dates and hours for this years show are as follows:

Saturday, September 15th and Sunday, September 16th.

Hours on both days 10:00am to 4:00pm

Location is 51 South San Antonio Road, Los Altos, CA

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1
serotta1972

I will mark my calendar and can’t wait to see your new module in person Brad. I hope to be able to help out this year. 

nscalestation
On 7/29/2018 at 8:13 PM, serotta1972 said:

I will mark my calendar and can’t wait to see your new module in person Brad. I hope to be able to help out this year. 

Terrific Junior,  looking forward to seeing you.

Got my hotel booked, I'm looking forward to the event!  What time will you guys being doing setup on Friday?  I should be able to make it to help with that as well.

• Like 3

I"m going to help out Saturday so I can get free entry and also the delicious hot lunch. 🙂  

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 2

That's great guys !  The setup on Friday will start at 4:00pm.  I plan to get there with the trailer at 3:30pm.  We can unload and stage things on the patio outside the museum building.  The museum is going to serve some dinner at 6:30pm on Friday for the setup crews.   Maybe on Saturday after the show we can go the that Mexican restaurant a couple blocks from the museum for dinner.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Yeah hope to meet up with you guys next year! It will be nice to go to California and not have to deal with a work project or my folks house!

Jeff

• Like 1

2018 Train Days - Paul created an interesting a point to point setup and had a good crew to run trains.  As always, little and big people were fascinated by the different Asian scenes and the variety of trains running.  

IMG_5289.thumb.jpg.a93f150266e16c36b0d066b94b53b7cc.jpgIMG_5288.thumb.jpg.5436af9734960f4016d8b3163cd8c65b.jpgIMG_5290.thumb.jpg.e5522611ae8238cdadb29204ee6ac707.jpg

Edited by serotta1972
  • Like 5

Thanks for posting those great photos Junior,  here are a couple more.

This first one I took on Sunday morning showing the overall layout.  The layout this time was all point to point with a total of 5 branches.  It took at least 3 operators to run this with each operator having an operators "pit" between the 4 fingers of the layout.

LATD2018F.thumb.jpg.5ecdc5ed042b3b7a378093faecbb45b8.jpg

This one was taken late on Saturday showing Sam's 115 Nigata train passing over the Ntrak lines and approaching the Hot Springs station.  Because in past shows I had problems with kids playing with the control panel mounted on the front, this time I mounted in on the back.  This required having one of the Ntrak guys switch the points as my throttle position was inside the pit area behind my Tokyo modules.  I think it would be easy for me to add a switch on a long cable to plug into the control panel that would reach to where my throttle is and may do that next time.

LATD2018C.thumb.jpg.5a75dd9089ce08fa6d7c2495f25de8d5.jpg

Edited by nscalestation
Grammer
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1